Need advise! Broody hen, incubator hatched chicks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by carolinasculpture, May 2, 2017.

1. carolinasculpture

carolinasculpture Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Hi! I have a broody and was planning to slip incubator hatched chicks under her. They were supposed to hatch Wed or Thurs, but one hatched yesterday. They others have not shown signs of hatching yet. If I put the early one under the hen now (tonight), will the broody stay put until the others hatch? Should I put the unhatched eggs under her with the hatchling? Will the chick be fine with mom after she/she has been with people? Thanks!

2. GitaBooks

GitaBooks Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jun 23, 2015
    USA
    Congrats on the babies!

I've introduced incubator hatched chicks to my momma hens so many times I can't count. The only time the momma doesn't except them is if she naturally isn't a very good mother. You can put the hatching eggs under her or just wait. Hen's with eggs under them will generally stay on the nest 1-2 days with the chick, though the chick may fall or climb out and get lost if it gets bored. I've even moved hens to their broody pen with one chick and introduced others later without a problem. Just make sure that the new chicks are strong enough to crawl under the hen as even in a small cage a newly hatched chick may not be able to move a couple feet to get to a mother and will freeze.

Best of luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by