Need advise

Sorry about your pullet. How old is she? Could she have been injured by another chicken or rooster? She has some symptoms of wry neck, and the problem with standing or walking could be from injury, Mareks disease, botulism, moldy feed, or a poison might be a possible cause. It is good that she has taken a few steps. I would try to get vitamin E and give 400 IU daily with a little scrambled egg, tuna, or sunflower seed. What has she been fed? Can you smell the feed and look for mold? Could she have eaten something dead or something from a compost pile?
She is almost 10 weeks. No moldy feed, but I’ll def double check again. I have an extremely large run so most of the time the chickens have so much space away from eachother that I hope it’s not an injury, but I know it can happen regardless . I just offered some scrambled eggs and she won’t eat them. But they are in there right next to her so she doesn’t have to move to get them. I double checked the run and coop tonight I didn’t find any sign of anything dead.

I am in complete agreement with @black_cat that this is wry neck, not an infection. Why do I believe this? Because her eyes are alert and bright. They would be dull and sickly if she had an infection. Vitamin E 400iu minimum is such a simple thing to do, and it can work very quickly sometimes to bring a chicken out of the grip of wry neck, which can present in some very creative ways.

Continue with the E and eggs until after she recovers.

Of course it could be Marek's, but there isn't anything you can do about that. If she doesn't respond to the vitamin E 400iu, then I would suspect Marek's.

Thanks for the update. We live for them.

Continue the E and egg for a few more days to get her system caught up with that.

I have a junior rooster who last spring had wry neck in a very similar fashion as your hen. He recovered within hours. I continued the E for a few days, and he's been fine since.

Back
Top Bottom