1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need all the help I can get

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Hardys Honey, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Hardys Honey

Hardys Honey New Egg

Apr 14, 2012
    Location of coop. I have a lot of land that has trees. I was thinking of putting the coop and the 12 x 12 chain link dog run in an area that has trees. There will be shade for them and i will install a predator-proof fencing top on the run for them. Is in the "woods but close to the house" a good place for the coop?

2. j and bs hens

j and bs hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2012
    Vancouver Island
    I'm somewhat new to chickens, but it sounds good and safe. (to me anyways....) are there lots of predators where you are located? Welcome to BYC from BC!

3. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Hello and :welcome
    Any place should be okay for your coop, as long as it's predator proof, I guess. I don't know so much about the subject either. Our chicken coop is rather far away from our house too, at the bottom of the garden, and that's never been an issue. It's good you're providing some shade for them!
    Enjoy the site, and see you round. :frow

4. kcjones

kcjones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Trees would be good spot for coop i think . I've had to put up tarps and boards on run to make shade

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Trees should not be a problem, especially if you are putting some type of roof on it. The shade will be a benefit.

Much more important in my opinion is drainage. You don't wan a coop or run to be wet. That can lead to disease. When it sets in wet with steady rain you're probably going to have a wet run, not much you can do about that. But you need to position the coop and run where rainwater does not run in it and where the run will drain when it gets wet and quits raining.

You can always build swells or berms to direct the water away, but water would be at the top of my priority list in positioning a coop and run.

6. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

You didn't really mention what type of top you are putting on the run, but know that if you are using netting, branches and such can do a lot of damage. Just a thought. So glad to have you with us.

7. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

Yes, that would be fine for a coop as long as it is predator proof.

[​IMG]

8. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. :thumbsup

9. Aeropennchick

Aeropennchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    Hello and welcome! My coop is over by the tree line, and my chickens love to forage in the woods.[​IMG]

10. PeuAPeu

PeuAPeu Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    Alabama
    I agree that it is a good place. When I was little, we had our chickens in a coop at the edge of the woods that bordered the pasture. My uncle also has his set up the same way. We, of course, had the coop which they could use for shelter and we also free-ranged them during the day as does my uncle now. Sometimes they play in the woods and sometimes in the yard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by