Need answers, how many, when and where?

OK, another coffee break and work having to be paused due to a much-needed afternoon rainfall. The new latches are on the egg door and they are so snug that I have to really wrestle with them to get them open. I need to go to the store and purchase one more piece of 1/4 round to de-draft my newly hung coop door and will probably do the same thing for the pop door because it can be so cold and windy here in the winter. My coop is made with mostly leftover materials but I didn't have enough 1/4 round to finish the job.

An additional question for you experienced chicken keepers. I made the mistake of fencing my run with chicken wire (thinking hey they're chickens, I should purchase chicken wire). The run is 6'X9'X6'tall plus an additional 4'X8' run space under the coop and has chicken wire on the sides and the top as well as a 18" skirt around the outside that I intend to stake down and cover with some wood chips. While I feel that they are pretty secure during the day while they're in the run I want to take it up another level in protection before the girls are outside for good.

I have a fairly large roll of welded wire left over from fencing our vegetable garden last spring (so far no problems from our neighborhood mule deer or elk). The openings in the wire are about 1'"X3". I could fasten that welded wire around the run, over the chicken wire that is already there or I could spring for some hardware cloth for maybe the bottom 3' or 4'. One is free, the other not. Any words of advice?
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom