Need Answers Quick!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Steph Martin, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Steph Martin

Steph Martin Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2011
    Nova Scotia Canada
    I've had chickens on and off for five years and I'm lucky as no one ever got sick. Things are different with this bunch and I need some help please.

Got the hens in March so approximately 4 to 5 months ago. Most of them are mixed breeds and all were doing well and living life until about a week ago. One of the hens started staying in the coop. At first she was up on a roost and panting...then she moved to the floor or a nest box and just sat there for a couple of days. She didn't even have the energy to squawk at my son who is her adversary. I gathered my courage and I got rid of her as I was scared for the other guys. Now another hen who looks to have the same genetics (if this could be a factor) is showing the same symptoms. In the coop, laying down, lethargic. I've removed her from the main flock and I need some answers if there are any out there. I'm scared for the rest of my guys as I have several pullets in there and favourites as well. Also, I live in an area where I cannot get any drugs for these guys...I've read of different medications but none are available here.

HELP.

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Im not sure what it can be but are they eating-drinking-pooping? splayed legs as if the bird is doing split from paralysis? Leading to think Marek's or botulism..Are the sneezing-running noses-bubbly eyes? Have you checked them over for lice or mites?

3. Steph Martin

May 7, 2011
    Nova Scotia Canada
    They look relatively normal altho their combs kind of got pale. They are walking normally but, if left to their own devices, they will stay inside and sit down. Their eyes appear to be clear, no runny noses. I did notice about two weeks ago that one had very watery stool but I thought it might be because of some treats I had put in there. None of them have any bugs.

4. Steph Martin

May 7, 2011
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Just read monitor's post. Sorry!! CHICKEN UNRESPONSIVE and SITTING DOWN.

Extras:

No more than one year old
    panting
    sitting and not moving
    comb pale
    no bugs
    not eating
    walking normal when coaxed to do so
    bedding is wood shavings
    not laying eggs
    extra skittish

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Three things come to mind; they are either eggbound, have lice or mites, or have worms....maybe all three.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by