Need anti-roost ideas!

Thank you, everyone!, for the ideas and for trying.... I really do appreciate your feedback! DH does NOT want to wire off the area because he thinks it would be too much of a PITA. The entire tack room is 20' x 16' and we'd have to go around light fixtures. It would also block off access to the outlets that are up there which we use occasionally. I didn't build the barn this way...it was already constructed when we moved here. DH would rather cull the birds than deal with putting up a bunch of screening to block off the area. That's why I need something simple that only covers the portions of the rafters and conduit that are exposed above that area.

What about hanging pie pans? ha ha....it seems to work for deer.... And again, I am going back to the baffle idea. Similar to a squirrel baffle that is used over a bird feeder. If I could find something unstable that rocks precariously when they try to stand on it, I would think that would be a deterrent?

This what I did to deter the birds from roosting on 6" window sills in the coop :

I used 1 small eye bolt on each end of the sill, about 4" to 5" up the side of the window, and tied some orange string between the eyebolts. They cannot stand on the string, and cannot get underneath the string to even try to roost.

This immediately stopped them from even accessing the forbidden perch.

A properly placed nail, or screw at each end of the rafter, with some hi-vis twine strung between them, would be fairly easy to do, and very effective at repelling roosting attempts.

Good luck.

Wire 'ceiling' attached to bottom of rafters.
Might have to move your outlet....or put a hole there for your access.

Why are they not in a coop?

@TJAnonymous I use plastic fencing similar to this to keep my GF out of areas I don't want them in. It's pretty flexible, lightweight and cuts easily with scissors so you can cut out openings for your electric. Some places I just use zip ties to attach it, otherwise a good stapler will staple it in place.
https://www.amazon.com/Houseables-T...ds=plastic+garden+fence&qid=1611583575&sr=8-3
https://www.amazon.com/DeWalt-DWHT8...words=dewalt+staple+gun&qid=1611583879&sr=8-1

@aart As for GF being cooped...well, the OP will have to give you the story or you can look up where/how she came to acquire them. While they can and do get along with laying hens they often do much better/less drama "not cooped" in a "traditional" sense like we do with layers. I let mine free roam, they do have a large run that I can lock them in when needed (at night for sure). Mine prefer rafters as well, for the most part they even return from foraging to lay eggs in the nesting box in their run.

DH does NOT want to wire off the area because he thinks it would be too much of a PITA.

I agree that putting up hardware cloth there would be a nuisance.

But maybe the kind of netting people use to keep birds out of their fruit trees?
Lightweight, flimsy, floppy, flexible, cheap.
Just drape it where it needs to go and secure with a few staples.

Or even tulle from the fabric store (like for ballerina tutus). You can literally rip it out with your hands when you're done with it, or cut with scissors.

The entire tack room is 20' x 16' and we'd have to go around light fixtures. It would also block off access to the outlets that are up there which we use occasionally.

I would probably try use netting to make the walls of the tack room "higher" (i.e. connect walls to ceiling).

(Your husband may still not want this, but I'm explaining in case it does get around his objections. We often recommend hardware cloth for predator proofing on this forum, but in this case you don't need raccoon-proof, you just need chicken-resistant, so weaker materials can be just fine and also easier to work with.)

Continuing from my other post LOL
You mention they are roosting on the conduit, so if you put netting or fencing in the the rafters, essentially blocking off their landing spacing, they won't be able to make it to the conduit.
Yes. They can fly straight up very well, but take time to watch exactly how they are getting to the conduit - I would take a good guess they are flying to the wood, then getting on the conduit. Block off their first landing area, but be prepared that they will try to work around it if that's their preferred spot and just out think them :lol:
1611584474330.png

Continuing from my other post LOL
You mention they are roosting on the conduit, so if you put netting or fencing in the the rafters, essentially blocking off their landing spacing, they won't be able to make it to the conduit.
Yes. They can fly straight up very well, but take time to watch exactly how they are getting to the conduit - I would take a good guess they are flying to the wood, then getting on the conduit. Block off their first landing area, but be prepared that they will try to work around it if that's their preferred spot and just out think them :lol:
View attachment 2502217

You are absolutely right. I have watched them fly up to the top of the stall from the ground. From there they jump up onto the rafters. From the rafters, they jump onto the conduit.

That side of the barn is laid out in 3 areas - the tack room, middle stall, and end stall. They generally jump up to the top of the stall from the middle stall and then scoot down over the tack room. Last night they went the opposite direction and scooted down over the end stall which is totally FINE with me. I just don't want them over the tack room.

Unfortunately I cannot close the barn up completely to keep them out because my horses go in there to be fed and get out of the wind & weather.

Back
Top Bottom