Need antibiotics advice

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Peaguy, Feb 18, 2009.

  1. Peaguy

    Peaguy Chillin' With My Peeps

    Apr 23, 2007
    I am dealing with two issues and need advice on the best antibiotics to use in either/both cases.
    1. One of my Turkens got out and we found here, after the dogs did. She actually was not hurt too badly just some skin scraped and one tooth puncture but bad enough we feel some topical/internal treatment will be called for
    2. Possible case of the dreaded B (Bumblefoot)
    Is/will it be possible to treat both with the same antibiotic or should I be looking for different meds? A large problem I have is locating medicines around here... I do have access to a TSC
    Any help! Would be appreciated!!!!

    ETA I do have the Turken hen seperated (in hospital in the house) I have not seperated my Dom roo (Bumblefoot candidate) yet.
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  2. chickensioux

    chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

    Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    For the skin would i would use povidone iodine as this is safe on poultry skin. For bumblefoot, I spent $100s of dollars trying to fix this on one (it was always infected) and lost her anyway. I had another get it and I left hers alone and it went away. So I would love to have ans. to bumblefoot too. One vet suggested to me it may be caused by splinters from perch, nesting box, roost or anywhere.....Antibiotics did nothing for the ones case of it.
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  3. Smoky73

    Smoky73 Lyon Master

    Feb 8, 2007
    The bite and any kind of wound I believe you want to go with a Penicillin type antibiotic.

    I have had a serious case of bumble foot in a cochin bantam and after treating it per vet for a month and a half we ended up having her put down. I gave up trying ot treat bumblefoot. I get a lot of my Ameraucanas with it and I just leave it alone now.
  4. speckledhen

    speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

    Well, I never use antibiotics for bumblefoot anymore. Just dealing with it topically, getting the plug out and putting gauze with Neosporin on it, then wrapping it, changing out every two or three days seems to work just as well as any antibiotic that they take orally or by injection.
    Flushing with saline solution also helps with healing and cleaning the wounds.
  5. Lollipop

    Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

    You ain`t gonna like this. Treatment for bumblefoot invoves splitting the puss sack and squeezing out the hard puss. Then pack in some antibiotic whatever and bandage the foot. The bandage should be kept on for about a week so you will have to replace it whenever he takes it off. Prolonged tape contact with the skin will cause inflamation. Antibiotics in his water will help fight the infection if used in conjunction.
  6. speckledhen

    speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

    Tape never touches my birds' skin when I bandage bumblefoot. Vetwrap is a stretchy gauze bandage that sticks to itself. No tape needed at all.
  7. Peaguy

    Peaguy Chillin' With My Peeps

    Apr 23, 2007
    Okay, I can handle anything these knuckleheads throw at me as far as operated on etc, I am not squimish. My issue is being for the most part one handed but I do have a fully able-bodied roomie who can help and will. Okay that being said, I need suggestions as to which med to use both to drop in the water and to apply directly.
    Is there any kind of spray on type stuffs (besides Blue-Kote) that would make it easier for me to use? I am thunking a good saline/peroxide flush for Silver on his foot see what I see might be the cause of his foot then treat with ointment/ spray (if I find such) and then a good coat of bag balm to "seal"it. bandaging if need be.
    Any flaws in my thinking???
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  8. the1much

    the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

    Quote:can get it in auto parts store or a "boat" place called " finger tape" stuff is made with wax ,, i use it fairing boats.
  9. speckledhen

    speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

    Vetwrap, sometimes called Coban, is in feedstores and western stores. I see it everywhere. Comes in spiffy colors. Used alot with horses. Looks like this:


BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by