Need barbed wire/electric fencing around a chicken yard - what works for you?

gailm

In the Brooder
6 Years
I have a 15' x 30' pen completely enclosed in hardware cloth and roof.
Around this is their fenced yard made of 2" x 4" welded wire 6' high, 4x4x8 posts at 10' apart. Approx 30' x 100' in total. I need to add additional protection around the fenced yard.

My biggest threat (aside from 1 irresponsible neighbors' 2 dogs 2 houses away) is now my next door neighbor.
They had been wonderful people for 7 years, but last summer the kids moved in with 3 large dogs while house hunting. Their dogs are let out at least 3x a day without leashes. I won't waste time with the details but I have spoken to my neighbor about keeping the dogs on leads or maybe in their front field where they can't see the chickens, but I was met with resistance and denial. (7 yrs of great neighbors down the toilet).

So i need to add an extra line of fence to prevent their dogs from reaching the Girls fence. I considered electric, but doubt that will stop a large dog that spots my chickens while chasing a deer. Too much adrenaline. Short of another actual fence, I would like to do lines of wire, barbed wire, and/or electric wire around the existing fence. Thinking about 2 feet away, starting a foot off the ground and maybe 4 strands at 6" apart. I think any dog that tries to get through this will surely get hung up, stopped, deterred, whatever.

I'm looking for proper spacing, # strands, type of posts, etc. Combining any of the 3 wires? I am open to other PROVEN methods - what others have done to prevent dogs, coyotes, wolves etc. THAT HAS WORKED.

Girls fence is 5 ft from the property line so that's all the room I have to work with on the one long side. Any ideas/suggestions/pics/links are appreciated. Cost is not a factor.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I can't make them disappear. I am an animal lover (vegetarian etc) and want to take other measures. But in the heat of the moment if I actually caught the dog that was chasing my girls I would probably beat the daylights out of it. And that actually scares me.

Since your run is not fenced with flimsy poultry netting, you really shouldn't "need" the added defense - really, anything that you add is not going to be much more of a deterrent than you already have if a dog is *that* determined to get through it. If you have an 'anti-tunnel' skirt around the base of your run and have used the stronger wire to enclose the run you are really already as dog-proof as you are going to need to get.

The only reason there will be any additional fence around our run is to keep my horses from using the run as a scratching or butt resting tool which would be all too destructive.

We ran a single strand of hot wire around the outside of our run about a foot off the ground. We just attached it to the existing fence with those plastic holders for electric fencing. We did this specifically with dogs in mind and it works perfectly. Several of the neighbors dogs have approached the run and stuck their nose on that wire. They left the area, never to return. I have not seen a dog try it a second time lol!

Even if a run is strong enough to prevent a dog breaking in they can still stress out the birds with their presence and behavior. If there is a hot wire there they will eventually sniff around and stick their nose on it and get zapped.

Run a few strands of electric wire like you said and smear bacon grease on it, guarantee they only lick it once. You just need to be smarter than the ignorant neighbor.

Electric fence will certainly keep most dogs out. Just be sure the bottom wire is far enough off the ground that vegetation won't short it out. You shouldn't have to go to expensive measures to prevent some a-holes dog from killing your chickens, I would report them to animal control or the county sheriff for letting their dogs roam your property. The are being very irresponsible and certainly don't care much about the welfare of the dogs as most areas allowing roaming dogs is illegal and they can also be shot legally or put down by authorities for harassing livestock in most places.

To CAFARMGIRL: You hit the nail on the head "Even if a run is strong enough to prevent a dog breaking in they can still stress out the birds with their presence and behavior."

That is definitely another reason i want to teach the dogs to stay far away though I did not say that in my post. When the dog has come by (even though in it's own field) they get scared and run into their 'secure' pen which is covered on 3 sides by plastic sheeting. In the warmer months it was not as bad since they have the cover of a large olive tree with a lot of brush so they just get quiet and stand still under there. The dogs never knew they were there but I am sure my Girls were scared beyond belief and it is not fair to subject them to that. It was me who was on the roof doing work and almost fell off (more than once) while rushing down the ladder.

Last edited:
To JETDOG: Bacon grease sounded like a good idea, but I don't want to unnecessarily invite the foxes over. They already know the Girls are there and so far I see them just walk by the pen, not even looking probably because they know they cannot get in. I'm sure they tried at one point but never saw evidence of scratching or digging.

To CAFARMGIRL: You hit the nail on the head "Even if a run is strong enough to prevent a dog breaking in they can still stress out the birds with their presence and behavior."

That is definitely another reason i want to teach the dogs to stay far away though I did not say that in my post. When the dog has come by (even though in it's own field) they get scared and run into their 'secure' pen which is covered on 3 sides by plastic sheeting. In the warmer months it was not as bad since they have the cover of a large olive tree with a lot of brush so they just get quiet and stand still under there. The dogs never knew they were there but I am sure my Girls were scared beyond belief and it is not fair to subject them to that. It was me who was on the roof doing work and almost fell off (more than once) while rushing down the ladder.

I know mine get stressed out if a strange dog comes near their pen and if a dog is excited or aggressive the chickens just freak out. But dogs, and many other predators, will almost always do a cursory sniff around the perimeter to check for ways to get in, they also almost always check out the hot wire by reaching out and touching their nose to it. I've been zapped by my own hot wire and it doesn't feel good, on a wet, sensitive nose I'm sure it's even more intense lol! It is an excellent and inexpensive solution.

Good luck with your neighbors and the dogs, crummy situation. Nuisance dogs who insist on visiting my property usually disappear. If their owners won't take responsibility then I do.

I see no reason why you could not insulate the barbed wire(bob war here in tx !) and hook it up to your electric charger. Might even put bacon grease on also!

Back
Top Bottom