Need bedding advice

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by needtohatch, Apr 2, 2009.

1. needtohatch

needtohatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Hart Co
    We have almost 2 week old chicks. Started out with puppy pads I got on clearence for week 1 then when they started scratching those up switched to newspaper (about 4 days ago). Since the switch they seem to be getting dried poo and food stuck on their feet. Can I use straw for bedding? I have some that I use in the coop, but don't know if ok for babies.

2. tamlynn

tamlynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Torrance, CA
    Straw would be better than newspaper. Even better would be pine shavings or rice hulls if they are available. Newspaper is not good for bedding.

3. needtohatch

Feb 27, 2009
    Hart Co
    Thanks, newspaper is the only thing my family ever used till chicks went out in the barn so that it what I went with. I will switch to straw for now. The only shavings our feed store has are cedar, I think I have read something about those being bad for chicks but can't remember.

4. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I've read not to use cedar too. I tried the straw . . . what a stinky mess! Since then I put mine on pine shavings from day one and never had a problem with it. Way better smelling and so easy to clean up!

5. jnjross

jnjross Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    i use pine shavings in brooder, pine straw in the coop, it helps with the smell

6. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    pine shavings are all I ever use. if you are worried about it getting in their water you can put the water container on a brick or piece of wood high enough so they can reach.
    and No to cedar, very toxic!

7. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    I prefer to use pine shaving for our chicks, too.

I just picked up 5 chicks yesterday but am using Aspen shavings in their brooder as the last time I thought I had picked up pine shavings from Tractor Supply, they had changed the shavings bags from clear plastic to white plastic.

Fortunately, the shavings were for our coops (older chickens) as they contained cedar also. [​IMG] When we bought the Aspen shavings last week in anticipation of the new chicks, the girl at the check-out counter kindly informed us that " the white bags of shavings are cheaper" so we kindly informed her that "yes they are, but you can't see the cedar chips in them and it isn't listed on the bag". She didn't know what to say after that and I kinda felt sorry for her.

Dawn

8. needtohatch

Feb 27, 2009
    Hart Co
    Thanks everyone! I guess it will have to be straw for now. I can't get to town till next week and the feed store down the road only has cedar. I will get some pine next week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by