Need bedding advice

needtohatch

Songster
10 Years
Feb 27, 2009
Hart Co
We have almost 2 week old chicks. Started out with puppy pads I got on clearence for week 1 then when they started scratching those up switched to newspaper (about 4 days ago). Since the switch they seem to be getting dried poo and food stuck on their feet. Can I use straw for bedding? I have some that I use in the coop, but don't know if ok for babies.

Straw would be better than newspaper. Even better would be pine shavings or rice hulls if they are available. Newspaper is not good for bedding.

Thanks, newspaper is the only thing my family ever used till chicks went out in the barn so that it what I went with. I will switch to straw for now. The only shavings our feed store has are cedar, I think I have read something about those being bad for chicks but can't remember.

I've read not to use cedar too. I tried the straw . . . what a stinky mess! Since then I put mine on pine shavings from day one and never had a problem with it. Way better smelling and so easy to clean up!

pine shavings are all I ever use. if you are worried about it getting in their water you can put the water container on a brick or piece of wood high enough so they can reach.
and No to cedar, very toxic!

I prefer to use pine shaving for our chicks, too.

I just picked up 5 chicks yesterday but am using Aspen shavings in their brooder as the last time I thought I had picked up pine shavings from Tractor Supply, they had changed the shavings bags from clear plastic to white plastic.

Fortunately, the shavings were for our coops (older chickens) as they contained cedar also.
he.gif
When we bought the Aspen shavings last week in anticipation of the new chicks, the girl at the check-out counter kindly informed us that " the white bags of shavings are cheaper" so we kindly informed her that "yes they are, but you can't see the cedar chips in them and it isn't listed on the bag". She didn't know what to say after that and I kinda felt sorry for her.

Dawn

Thanks everyone! I guess it will have to be straw for now. I can't get to town till next week and the feed store down the road only has cedar. I will get some pine next week.

Back
Top Bottom