Need bigger coop but no available space

caracals

Chirping
Dec 24, 2017
Cooper City, Florida
To put it short, my chickens are currently in a 48 inch long, 25 inch wide, 36 inch tall coop with no roost and a 8 foot long, 4 foot tall run. Due to lack of money, we haven't been able to upgrade. However, now that I can pitch in some of my own to help we're able to afford a much more comfortable place for our hens and rooster to live and breathe.

Problem is that our backyard is sloped and the only even ground we have is so minimal, that if we placed a bigger coop and run there then it'd take up the neighbor's space. Is there anyway to get this to work? I might evaluate the backyard a little further and measure but it's pretty difficult. Plus, there's the factor of sunlight. We have huge trees in our backyard and the sun hits at a pretty awful angle. Where we have them now has the most sun, but as I said, if we upgrade it'd take up too much space I think.

What are the ideal dimensions for 5 hens and 1 rooster living together? We may also want chicks in the future but we have a separate thing for that so it's fine. I'm just at a loss of what to do because I know that they deserve better than this right now. :/

You do not need level ground for a coop and run. I haven't got a single square foot of level ground on 36 acres, but I managed to get a fabulous run built on a slope with two small coops at each end. Whatever surface area you possess, you can make it work. The secret is terracing and stepping the foundation. https://www.backyardchickens.com/gallery/albums/new-pen.6343434/

How close to the property line does your city allow a chicken coop and run? That's one consideration. As for the slope, you can use cement blocks and grading to address that problem. You may want to search for YouTube videos on how to build a shed on a sloped surface.

But I need to clarify: Five hens and a rooster are currently living in eight square feet of space? Am I understanding that correctly? Without a roost?

I would like to be gentle with my words; I'm just struggling a bit here. Clearly you adore these chickens and are very worried for them. I'm just questioning whether significantly downsizing your flock would be a better solution for now.

And if you're considering chicks and feel you have a setup for them ready to go, where are they going to go in just a month's time when they're ready to move into a proper chicken coop?

The reality of this situation seems to be this: Perhaps you rescued these birds or inherited them. But no roost completely runs contrary to what they require for their emotional wellbeing, and coupled with a chronic lack of space and the possibility of more chickens soon to arrive, I'm wondering if you should delay getting chicks for a year while you significantly improve the living conditions of your current flock.

Strongly worded, but said with love and good intentions. I felt the need to say that.

:)

You can level it with blocks, like this

2bbbic

If you can build it yourself or have someone build it for you, you can absolutely build it on sloped ground with no problem. For mine, I made the bottom rails of the run match the ground, with the corner posts going straight upright from there. I used a level and different measurements front and back to make sure the coop section was level (as if it were on flat ground). So in the end, the coop has a level floor but the run is sloped.

With limited space you could consider expanding your existing coop in a way that is on stilts and above some of the existing run space so that your square footage is working double time for you and can count as both inside space and outside run space beneath the coop. Also, if your coop is on stilts it can help you overcome the slope/uneven nature of the ground and you can just bury one stilt a bit deeper in the ground than another.

I know what I'm talking about. No need to quantify with hardcore science.

If in doubt, read up on Temple Grandin for some good background on how I think. My observations regarding animals are always, without fail accurate.

There's you over there and me over here. I like where I'm standing.

Does that answer your question?

Since I've had silkies for years and they don't have roosts since they never used them I was genuinely curious.
I'd never heard of that.
Did it answer my question? No, but you're statement about your observations about animals always without fail being accurate and that you clearly stand in your own place while I stand over here shows me your opinion about yourself and about others or me in general. That does tell me enough to know what I needed.

How close to the property line does your city allow a chicken coop and run? That's one consideration. As for the slope, you can use cement blocks and grading to address that problem. You may want to search for YouTube videos on how to build a shed on a sloped surface.

But I need to clarify: Five hens and a rooster are currently living in eight square feet of space? Am I understanding that correctly? Without a roost?

I would like to be gentle with my words; I'm just struggling a bit here. Clearly you adore these chickens and are very worried for them. I'm just questioning whether significantly downsizing your flock would be a better solution for now.

And if you're considering chicks and feel you have a setup for them ready to go, where are they going to go in just a month's time when they're ready to move into a proper chicken coop?

The reality of this situation seems to be this: Perhaps you rescued these birds or inherited them. But no roost completely runs contrary to what they require for their emotional wellbeing, and coupled with a chronic lack of space and the possibility of more chickens soon to arrive, I'm wondering if you should delay getting chicks for a year while you significantly improve the living conditions of your current flock.

Strongly worded, but said with love and good intentions. I felt the need to say that.

:)
I don't know the property line distance yet.

I can feel your concern in this, and I share it as well! While they are my chickens, my mother is actually quite restricting on this and that despite me sharing information I have read myself to figure out exactly what my chickens need. The "coop" isn't compatible with a roost, and we need a new one ASAP so they can be comfortable and happier. We only have roosts in the run which is really odd.

It wasn't my decision, I was really held back by my mom who knows less about chickens than I do. We've quite literally had this coop since they were babies and added in the run when they were 2 1/2 months old. They're nearly 6 months old now and I'm just honestly baffled at what's going on here. I'm earning money through art to get the necessary coop for them if I'm even able to. I need to somehow make the coop work on uneven ground/a slope and we're good.

I do appreciate you being kind! I feel you SO SO much on this one. I love them very dearly and I want the best for them. This is me putting my foot down on all this nonsense. Also! I'm not saying we're getting chicks definitively, it was more of a statement that we may want chicks but we don't have the necessary space yet.

Thank you so much for your input and patience!

It's been said, the minimum is 4 sq ft per bird in the coop & 10 sq ft per bird in the run ... The more space the better, over crowding will cause behavioral & health problems. My enclosure is on a slight slope, Hubby just followed the "lay of the land", due to what we could build (8 x 12 x 7) I've limited myself to 4 -6 birds, no Rooster nor chicks :(

Back
Top Bottom