Need Broody Chicken Advice (I'm a novice)

kyckling66

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 23, 2012
Prairieville, LA
Ok, chicken experts. I have one hen who has been broody for about 2 weeks, and now another appears to be as well. I am planning on trying to use the cage method (putting in a cage with a wire bottom not touching the ground) to break them. My question is, do I need to put them in separate cages or can I put them in one together? This is my first broody chicken incident, so looking for guidance from folks with experience. Also, anyone who has done this, what if any, are the challenges?

with my broody hen i just put cold eggs under her if she is broody she will have a bald spot on her stomach so to will be really cold and she should get up ... i just moved one of my other broodys she went broody in a field by my house and i just moved her and put her in a pen for a little bit and she never went back to the nest

If the cage is big enough, you can stick them in there together. If its tight, you might have issues with feed and water being knocked over.
You could also make them a little pen outside and carry them to/from it when its time for them to be in the coop. Some hens are easier to break than others for sure, just removing them from the nest a few tines could do the trick. Good luck!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom