Need Chicken Advice

Well the white hen died after all. I was unable to keep a Plymouth Rock Rooster from entering the enclosure and I believe it was him who killed her because she was weak and he kept aggressively mounting her while she was down. She had began eating some and I was hopeful she would make it. The other white hen is fine now. I believe now the other white hen was not really down, she was just hanging around the other one while it was down because they had a bond with each other being raised together and introduced to these others later.

I saw parts of a baby bird in my chicken pen. I believe a baby must have fell from it's nest and met it's destiny in my chicken yard. :(

Last edited:
It's perfectly normal for chickens to eat mice, or indeed, anything they can catch. I've seen pictures of chickens halfway through swallowing a snake whole. I wouldn't worry about eating the eggs.

It's hard to say what is going on with your white birds. Yes, they will go broody without eggs. Are these two by any chance a lot bigger than the rest of your chickens?
I'd have to disagree with mice.They can eat,but you may not want them to.Mice can carry sicknesses.My EE ate a baby dead bird though,I should have took it from her,but I didn't.

Well,if you have CHICKS you should give them antibiotics.At your feed store in a small blue package with i think turky's on it chicks in a duckling.I'm positive it picks them from getting a sikness from other chickens,I would research if it keeps them from getting sick from other animals.Good luck!

Well,if you have CHICKS you should give them antibiotics.At your feed store in a small blue package with i think turky's on it chicks in a duckling.I'm positive it picks them from getting a sikness from other chickens,I would research if it keeps them from getting sick from other animals.Good luck!

Overuse/mis-use of antibiotics opens an entirely different can of worms - medications, including antibiotics, should only be given when needed and for specific, identified reasons - there are many common illnesses for which antibiotics will do nothing.

Last edited:
Overuse/mis-use of antibiotics opens an entirely different can of worms - medications, including antibiotics, should only be given when needed and for specific, identified reasons - there are many common illnesses for which antibiotics will do nothing.
Its usedso chicks won't catch disease from other chickens.

Back
Top Bottom