Need climbing plant help

I'd recommend honeysuckle. We have that on the back half of our property and it absolutely loves fences. Makes a quick job of covering it up, too....and the smell is quite pleasant.
The good news is you can cut it down completely and it's back again the next year.

Being from the South, I could also say the horrid word 'kudzu'....now that's a plant that will cover things in a hearbeat!
big_smile.png

OKAY!!! i planted a Cross Vine several years ago on a trellis which has since been removed and replaced with a much more fun chicken coop! tried to kill the cross vine...several times...still trying. You cannot kill a cross vine...just sayin'. it keeps it's leaves during the winter and just grows and grows and grows. for better or worse...

OK so the 20+packages of Morning Glories and Moonflowers will be tossed out in the big patch on the other side of the front fence on the street side. Anything to keep people from sitting there in the dirt??!!

I had Jasmine planned already and Passion Flowers. So going to price my Honeysuckle and some climbing roses today along with my Wisteria (planting down the drive since it doesn't connect to the backyard.

Wish I could search the web faster, cause I'm still trying to find pick of some of the suggestions here.

I have gourd seeds, so also may do that in the back.

I may still put some Wisteria in the back but only if I get hubby talked into my gazeboo, but that may have to wait till we're buying, so I can make it a permenant structure. When we find the right place the birds will have there own section away from the house, except maybe on or 2 so I can see them all the time.

Whatever I do here I want to look nice, but has to be done inexpensively as possible.

I'm also trying to come up with things to do in different areas of the yard. Need play area for granddaughter (4) and other small Gkids that come to visit. Son is 14 and a video game junkie, so I'm thinking horseshoes or ??? to get him out of his room.

I have a bunch of 2x6 boards I'm using for raised beds. I hate this getting old stuff. I could get a whole property landscaped in a week before, now it's taken months. Mostly because this one was so high with growth.

I'm thinking of having all the gkids make a stepping son with their names on them for using around the yard, but not sure I want to pull them up and transport when I finally do move. I need a good pattern for bench and trellis also. I want to make a good sized flower garden and have 2 of these across from eachother.

Nothing is more important than getting that fence filled in though.

I love that some of the suggestions here were plants I hadn't thought about in a while.

Wonder what else I can come up with?

I don't know the proper spelling but my italian grandfather grew squash called cucuzza. They were edible when small for people, when they were bigger he threw them to the pigs and they loved them. The vines are very fast growing and beautiful. The squash can be long and curved and be bigger than a baseball bat.
Here is a link:
http://www.cucuzzasquash.com/info1.htm

Quote:
Man I haven't heard of those since I was 14. My neighbors grandmother had them growing almost everywhere in their yards. They used to send them around to all the neighbors. What a blast from the past.

Thanks OP! I was wondering the very same thing! My chicken coop is close to the edge of my property line and I wanted to plant some type of climbing plant that has pretty flowers or bears fruit that the chicks can safely eat & enjoy! I don't think my neighbors want to look at ugly chicken run fencing so I'd like to train the vine to climb one side of my chicken run. My chicks love grapes..but will a grapevine be too heavy? Any other berry suggestions?

Quote:
I have a rental, so once we find the place we want to buy, I'll really be taking advantage of some of the suggestions on this thread.

I don't know what type they are, but these grapes are think vined, but very light.

There are sooooo many grapes being grown in our area all of a sudden, it's unreal. I love seeing rows and rows of them. We had grapes when my parents bought their first house. There were a lot of Italians in the neighborhood including the people they bught the house from and most of them grew bitter white wine grapes. All of us kids would pick the grapes in our backyard and try to eat them, but they weren't exactly eating grapes. One summer we threw a bunch in a tub and stomped them with our feet and gave the "wine" as gifts to our parents. I wish I knew what "special occassion" they all saved it for. LOL I bet they all got a laugh over a bunch of kids with probably really dirty feet, stomping the heck out of all those grapes. Turned out cool too. Skins and all. yuck!

Quote:
I have a rental, so once we find the place we want to buy, I'll really be taking advantage of some of the suggestions on this thread.

I don't know what type they are, but these grapes are think vined, but very light.

There are sooooo many grapes being grown in our area all of a sudden, it's unreal. I love seeing rows and rows of them. We had grapes when my parents bought their first house. There were a lot of Italians in the neighborhood including the people they bught the house from and most of them grew bitter white wine grapes. All of us kids would pick the grapes in our backyard and try to eat them, but they weren't exactly eating grapes. One summer we threw a bunch in a tub and stomped them with our feet and gave the "wine" as gifts to our parents. I wish I knew what "special occassion" they all saved it for. LOL I bet they all got a laugh over a bunch of kids with probably really dirty feet, stomping the heck out of all those grapes. Turned out cool too. Skins and all. yuck!

I'd like to grow grapes, too! My grandmother did and when I was little I use to duck under the trellis ( it was the best fort!) and eat them! I'll have to look into what kind of grapes grow well in Maine.

Back
Top Bottom