Need close up pics of your run door

47742_coop_003.jpg

We used gussets to reinforce the corners.

In the end this is what worked the best for us. The only tool we had was a handheld power saw with no guides so it took a bit of fussing with it to get it just right, but it came together okay!
We have blocks on the inside frame to keep the door from swinging inward/ruining the hinges (etc)

early%20morning%20runcoop.jpg

My door fits inside the frame and is a pretty tight fit but it keeps the grandkids from opening it and am thinking of adding a smaller door within a door to allow them free range. My page has some pics on it...Good luck

Nic&Chickies :

Any chance you could post a picture(s)? I can't visualize what you have, and our door was salvaged from some kind of picture frame or window, so we just kind of made it fit.

Here's what I'm working on.
49067_img_4950.jpg

Making a door from 2x4 is relatively simple..........you say your 4x4 posts are 36 inches apart and I'll assume they are 72 inches tall so your door opening in 36x72.............make your gate 35 x 71 with simple butt jointed 2x4s...........that will give you 1/2 inch clearance on all 4 sides of run door.

If you have a miter saw.............cut 2x4 scraps with 45 degree angles on both ends...........quick and easy corner braces...........or use gussets made from plywood scrap............google plywood gusset..........or buy steel L-angles braces at hardware store

when hanging door use shims to insure that you hAVE 1/2 inch clearance at bottom of door,at top of door and between door edge and 4x4......hold in place with clamps while you screw your hinges in place

good luck

Back
Top Bottom