Need consoling....

ThreeBoysChicks

Songster
12 Years
Sep 19, 2007
Thurmont, MD
My chickens have been blessed and free ranging for years. I live on 4 acres with open pastures and have not really had problems. Other than the occassional snake helping himself to an egg or two. It has always been great, the boys get up on the fence and wake us up and the they all love to scratch in the horse manure.

But this morning, I woke up to silence and 6 of my 11 chickens dead. My older Roo was not dead, but unable to pick up his head or get up on his feet. He was bleeding pretty bad, so I put him out of his misery.

They were not eatten, just killed and all over the field, like they were being chased. I am assuming it was a dog or dogs.

The remaining 5 ladies are now in their enclosure and safe.

But it is very frustrating and no one but the folks on this website would understand. They were good chickens. One of the Rhode Island Reds was the last of the original 5 chickens I got 5 years ago.

So I am bummed. I have 13 pullets and one Roo in the barn that are 2.5 months old. But it is not the same. My older chickens were like babies.

Thanks for listening.... Ed

Update from 12/5/2007
I really want to get a roo for the remaining ladies. I have a new roo, but he is only 2 months and is with the 13 pullets. I wanted an older roo for my older ladies. I have been in contact with a member on the site who has a rooster they are looking to give away, but then another member sent me an email asking me to check out the Montgomery County Humane Society. They have 2 Delaware roos that have been there since early October. I am going to check them out on Sunday. Now the big question, can I come home with only one????? 5 hens and two roos, may be a bit much, but can I really leave one behind. My wife thinks I am nuts, but knows there is nothing she can do...

What do you think, in the end, I will may have 18 hens and 3 roos??

Last edited:
:aww SO sorry for you..............its so hard when something kills just for killing....I have one old hen left from my original...don't know what I would feel if she was lost..... hope your week gets easier as it goes ......

I sure am sorry to hear that. It's so hard to put all that time and love into your animals and they become family members, then something like this happens. It's not fair and I really feel for you. I'm glad you still have some of your flock, but still how devastating.
sad.png

Sorry to hear of your loss! I am not very sentimental but I would be at a loss if some of these we have were killed. We have raised them all from chicks. So I understand what you are going thru.
Once again so sorry!
Randy

I am sooo sorry to hear about your babies... I think that is always the hardest to find them that way. I get soooo MAD when one is killed and left. At least when one is killed and eaten it didnt go to waiste. I hope you find and deal with the culprets, once dogs find a place for fun they will come back. Jenn

I only have 6 neighbors and the ones that have dogs are very responsible dog owners. I am thinking this might have been a stray and am keeping my eyes open and will touch base with the neighbors to have them keep an eye out also.

Thanks for your feedback.

Back
Top Bottom