NEED DUCK HELP PLEASE!!!

For another duckling. What kind of niacin should I get from the store? No where lical sales Brewers yeast. Thanks.

Best pic I can get of him. He's a wiggle worm.

That looks pretty serious... Looks like the infection starts at the foot and goes all the was up to the hock? I know spouses can be difficult, but explain that this sort of infection can be fatal. Does it feel like there is pus in the joints and tendon sheath? If so, you could try draining it, though that can be problematic if done incorrectly.

Tylan... I know there are lots of posts that say the dose is 1/2 cc, but at 9 pounds I promise you that it's no where near enough. Additionally, it must be given at least twice a day.

Maybe tetracyline or oxytetracyline would be better, but how will you make sure he gets enough medicated water?

Another one you could try is injectable penicillin.

-Kathy

I had a duck that had this same thing, also had bumblefoot on one of her toes. A shot of baytril cleared up the bumblefoot. The swelling in the joint went down in a week- week and a half. The vet also gave me baytril that could be topically applied! I know you said no vet, but maybe you can find one that will work with you if you just call and ask how much a shot of baytril would be for your duck? I dunno..just throwing it out there..

I had a duck that had this same thing, also had bumblefoot on one of her toes. A shot of baytril cleared up the bumblefoot. The swelling in the joint went down in a week- week and a half. The vet also gave me baytril that could be topically applied! I know you said no vet, but maybe you can find one that will work with you if you just call and ask how much a shot of baytril would be for your duck? I dunno..just throwing it out there..
Injectable Baytril can be purchased online without a prescription.

https://cobyfarm.com/index.php?route=product/search&filter_name=enfloxil
http://gamebirdsupplies.com/eng/item/5/enroxil-10-25ml

Injectable *can* be given orally.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Tryung to get the Baytril. Will Penicillin G work for now?
I wish I could be sure - in a perfect world, you'd be able to test a sample from the duck and then test that against different antibiotics so that you could choose the one that knocks out the infection the best.

If Pen G is what you have, perhaps that's best, rather than waiting too long. Perhaps @casportpony or someone else has a different idea....

Tryung to get the Baytril. Will Penicillin G work for now?
Totally different drug, but it might help. Problem is the dose... There's all sorts of info on the web, but I haven't used it, so I can't say for sure what it is. What I do know for sure is that it has to be given by injection. When you look up dosing info keep in mind that people that most doses will be listed for an average sized chicken, not a nine pound duck.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom