NEED DUCK HELP PLEASE!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Dark Angel, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Dark Angel

Dark Angel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2016
    Hi all my 14 wk duck Asher has an infection. He got a fish hook caught in the skin of his right leg. He was limping around, which caught my attention. I removed the hook, cleaned the wound, applied blue kote, and I restricted his movement for 2 days. I've watched closely, and his leg is swollen, and warm. After alot of research I decided to try Tylan 50. After researching the BYC website it seemed Tylan 50, would be a better option than Tylan 200 as it maybe to strong. started him on it yesterday, he is barely putting weight on it, before he just stood on one leg. I have him alone, in a quite space. He's not eating as much as he normally would, seems to be drinking ok. He is very lively during bathtime. Unfortunately the vet is not an option according to my husband. I am giving it orally, as I've never done an injection on a duck. I know you rarely want to give antibiotics to a duck, but his leg kept swelling. The swelling doesn't seem to be going down. Any other advice???

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  2. Welshies

Welshies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Try washing the wound with Iodine.
    Let him swim often to keep it clean.
    What the heck was he doing to be around fishhooks? Lol

3. Dark Angel

Jun 14, 2016
    I'm still trying to figure out where it came from myself, smh. So you think iodine id better than blue kote?

4. quackers619

quackers619 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    fayetteville,ga
    we used antibiotic ointment with (no pain reliever) and hydro peroxide. 2 to 3 times a day + warm Epson baths once or twice a day. That for for bumble food but it seemed to work well and i think it would be good for wounds too

1 person likes this.
  5. Dark Angel

Jun 14, 2016
    The wound really isn't big, just a small hole where the hook went in. The swollen part is the leg into the foot, and it's warm, so I'm thinking infection. That's why I started the Tylan 50.

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would give the oral antibiotics, apply Epsom salt compresses (E.s. is a laxative, don't let him ingest any) and apply topical antibiotic or perhaps a couple of drops of clear iodine at the wound site.

I agree with quackers619 that similar treatment to that for bumblefoot is worth trying.

@casportpony has done a good bit of research on antibiotics and dosages, you want to do your best to give appropriate dosage. I am not an antibiotics expert.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...gals-coccidiostats-and-wormers-preliminary/10

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    How much does the duck weigh and how much Tylan 50 are you giviing?

8. Dark Angel

Jun 14, 2016
    Researching said half a cc. Roughly 9 pounds. I'm giving less than half a cc. I'm on day 2 of treatment.

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @casportpony

10. quackers619

quackers619 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    fayetteville,ga
    i allso used a spray to can find at the feed store like Tractor supply called vetericyn works real good for wounds

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by