Need ER advice. Chicken ate half an avocado skin...looks bad

I didn't want to report too soon so that I wouldn't jinx her! LOL But she seems much better! She was a little slow moving this morning but I just took some cooked carrot peels to them and she was talking and came running and gobbled them up! Do you all think she is out of the woods or could she go back downhill again?

Let me tell you a story about being poisoned and using the ingredients you just used on your hen to neutralize exposure to the toxin.

When I was a young mom, I found some beans in the pants pocket of my five-year old as I was doing laundry. I'm mindlessly curious, yes, even after decades of suffering for it, I still am. I bit into a bean to taste it, and spit it right out and rinsed my mouth, spitting that out.

It was a castor bean, and highly deadly. It's where they get ricin.Though I didn't swallow it, it was absorbed into my bloodstream and I began vomiting and having diarrhea. It continued for hours. The doctor prescribed an anti-vomiting and diarrhea pill but it didn't work. I knew I was in deep doo-doo, and luckily recalled the recipe for the universal antidote for poison. (You'd think the doctor would have thought of it.)

I instructed my husband to burn some toast to a black crisp, brew some black tea as strong as he could make it, and then scrape the charcoal from the burnt toast into the tea with a tablespoon of milk of magnesia. He brought it to me, and said it sure looked like a concoction to make me even sicker. I drank it down.

Immediately, the antidote worked. I stopped being sick within minutes, and got steadily better from there. File this away on a note inside your medicine cabinet. Activated charcoal + milk of magnesia + tannin (black tea)= universal antidote for poisoning. Except with chickens you skip the tannin since that is toxic to them.

So, yes, your hen has been saved. She will continue to get better now that the poison has been neutralized. This works on any number of neuro toxins, poison mushrooms, plants.

I'm editing this to correct some misinformation. It is not recommended you use milk of magnesia with activated charcoal as it decreases the effectiveness of the charcoal.

Also, activated charcoal isn't recommended for the treatment of petroleum distillate poisoning, although I would use it if I had a chicken that had consumed insecticide. The downside isn't nearly as bad as almost certain death.

And finally, after some research (see post #26), I feel comfortable recommending using the original universal antidote, consisting of milk of magnesia, brewed black tea and burnt toast, that saved my life in the 60s, if you do not have activated charcoal on hand. A little tannin is not going to be a huge risk to the chicken in this case.

Last edited:
When I was a young mom, I found some beans in the pants pocket of my five-year old as I was doing laundry. I'm mindlessly curious, yes, even after decades of suffering for it, I still am. I bit into a bean to taste it, and spit it right out and rinsed my mouth, spitting that out.
My first thought was that your 5yo had eaten some<cringe>

Let me tell you a story about being poisoned and using the ingredients you just used on your hen to neutralize exposure to the toxin.

It was a castor bean, and highly deadly. It's where they get ricin.Though I didn't swallow it, it was absorbed into my bloodstream and I began vomiting and having diarrhea. It continued for hours. The doctor prescribed an anti-vomiting and diarrhea pill but it didn't work. I knew I was in deep doo-doo, and luckily recalled the recipe for the universal antidote for poison. (You'd think the doctor would have thought of it.)

I instructed my husband to burn some toast to a black crisp, brew some black tea as strong as he could make it, and then scrape the charcoal from the burnt toast into the tea with a tablespoon of milk of magnesia. He brought it to me, and said it sure looked like a concoction to make me even sicker. I drank it down.

Immediately, the antidote worked. I stopped being sick within minutes, and got steadily better from there. File this away on a note inside your medicine cabinet. Activated charcoal + milk of magnesia + tannin (black tea)= universal antidote for poisoning. Except with chickens you skip the tannin since that is toxic to them.

So, yes, your hen has been saved. She will continue to get better now that the poison has been neutralized. This works on any number of neuro toxins, poison mushrooms, plants, and other toxins from petroleum distillates such as insecticides. Activated charcoal and milk of magnesia should be in every chicken first aid kit.
If it's not, already, this information needs to be available in the "Articles" section, so we can find it again, easily .... please?

Back
Top Bottom