Need experienced MG/CRD Flock help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by unix_micki, Sep 17, 2011.

1. unix_micki

unix_micki Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    So my flock is going through this disease and I had to cull the carrier (first one ill) and lost 10 hens [​IMG] Last night they, 40 birds, got the second Tylan 50 injection and only 5 are showing symptoms now [​IMG]

These are my pets and eggs for breakfast so I am not going to cull the whole flock as most have recovered.

Questions:
    What can I make them to build up their health again, I have been doing oats/peas/yogurt

How can/do I introduce new birds or should I hatch within?

Any other advice on those people who have this type of flock is greatly appreciated.

Can I vacinne new birds during the 30 day quarentine period??

I also realize that I have a closed flock and none can leave.

Please help [​IMG] In need of answers [​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Um, sorry, but your post sounds like you don't know for sure what they have, and I don't see how these questions can be answered properly unless you do.

3. unix_micki

unix_micki Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    I thought that CRD could turn into MG....anyone else that can help?

4. Ozchicken

Ozchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Queensland, Australia
    Mycoplasma gallisepticum is a species of mycoplasma that can cause CRD. It sounds like you don't know whether that's exactly what you have there or not. The only way to know would be lab testing etc. There are many poultry respiratory diseases that can look pretty similar.

Those that recover will pick up in time with good food, fresh air sunshine etc. After antibiotics I like to use probiotics and give a vitamin supplement to peaky birds in recovery.

If you have got MG there, recovered birds will be carriers particularly at times of stress. Any new bird that comes into your flock will eventually get exposed and become sick. Then it will go through the same process that your current birds have just been through. MG is one of those infections that can pass on vertically through the egg. Chicks can be born with it. You can give antibiotics to hatched chicks over a few weeks after hatch and I think there's a recommended program of weeks on/weeks off antibiotics to deal with that.

How can/do I introduce new birds or should I hatch within?

If you hatch from within, I think it would be too late for vaccination. If bringing birds in from outside, you could ensure they were vaccinated, however remember that you're not sure what your own birds have. That makes it a bit of a guess.

The only way to get rid of MG infections is to depopulate, disinfect, and then start again. In a backyard situation I wouldn't do that either though.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  5. Pickaduck

Pickaduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Alabama
    Quote:I think it all depends on what you are willing to do.. if you don't want to depopulate then you can't ever sell hatching eggs or birds and any birds you bring into your flock will have a chance they will also get sick. Since you aren't really certain about what they do have, it's hard to say what to do.

Personally I would seriously consider depopulating given the length of time this has been going on and the number you've lost already. However, I do understand that these are pets and you do care about them and do want to do what you can for them. It's a very tough situation to be in and I wish you the best with it and I hope everything works out for the best. [​IMG]

Keep us updated!!

6. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    I too have a CRD (chronic respiratory disease) infected flock, so I may be of assistance. However, know that all infected birds are carriers for life now, so you will be managing this disease until you cull all of your birds, wait for a period of time, and start over.

1. Vitamins, good nutrition, sunshine, and a low-stress environment.

2. You won't be able to introduce new birds without risking them getting sick. If you do that, be prepared to treat with Tylan as soon as symptoms arise if they do. Introductions will most likely cause a flare up because of the stress, so they'll probably all need to be treated. Hatching from within exposes them at a younger age and might overwhelm their systems. I would brood separately and introduce at 12 weeks.

3. Advice? Don't add more birds, and NEVER sell hatching eggs, chicks, or birds. If you hatch eggs and get extra birds, you have to keep them or cull them. Also, always have antibiotic and a quarantine pen available in case you need it.

4. Vaccines are useless if you don't know what kind to get. There's no point.

Good luck! It's hard and stressful, but very doable. My birds are pets too, and so far I only have had one that had a flare up so far [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by