Need expert advice/opionion please....

Linda V

Songster
Jul 11, 2016
Southern Granville County, NC
First, I need to give a little background on my two Barred Rock hens, 2 yrs old now:

Abigail came to us 1 yr ago WITH this growth on her leg...we noticed it but figured it was a birth defect. However, since she developed leg mites a few months later - we were led to believe that growth was a "mite mound" similar to a termite mound for lack of better description. When I gave her 5-min oil dips X 8, however, the growth looked like it was "sagging" - now it's different looking but it is still there! Abby also has some old, black, dead scales that have yet to fall off.

1. They both had leg mites, Abby's was bad, Henrietta, not so
much.
2. Gave both 5 min oil dips x 8!
3. Then New Stock applications 3 times each hen
4. Legs began looking good but today I took new pics of their
legs and am worried about them cuz I don't know what's
going on with their legs this time.
5. I've looked for hours on line for pics of hen's legs with
unusual, odd, unnatural growths on them, but have nothing
to show for it! :(
6. They both appear to be 100% fine regarding feeding,
drinking, sleeping, waste material, and they have a 14-foot
run in addition to a large, free-roaming area under trees so
they are always eating bugs, Feather Fixer, BOSS, scratch,
and occasional treats like scrambled eggs, cheese, cherry
tomatoes, and lots of leafy greens from the yard (Wood
Sorrel, etc.,)

Here are a few pics of Abigail's legs (she had worst case) and
one of Henrietta's - she had a mild case.

Do you think that disgusting growth on her leg is an active mite mound or a dormant one that hasn't fallen off yet?

If so...is there anything I can do to it so we can find out what is inside of it? I do not want to handle it as using "leverage" on it would hurt her big time! I was thinking of snipping off the very end - about 1/8" - to see what it's made out of and if she reacts when I gently snip the end off.

Now I'm seeing a small, pointy thing starting to appear on
Henrietta's leg. She never had anything on her legs before.
Do you think it's one of those "mounds" with mites inside?

Also...I need to know if I should go back to coating both their legs every weekend with NuStock. I refuse to do more oil dipping again. It was a mess! NuStock is amazing and it doesn't not smell bad at all to me.

I've done all the research I can so any advice from those of you out there who can give me an educated or experienced advice as to what that growth on Abby's leg is, and what is the new growth that's beginning to appear on Henrietta's legs?

Thanks so much for taking time the time to read this. I really appreciate that.

Linda V in NC
Aug. 31, 2017
SAM_8914.JPG
SAM_8919.JPG
SAM_8923.JPG
Henrietta's legs. 8.31.17.JPG

HENRIETTA (above) ALWAYS HAD NICE, SMOOTH LEGS - EVEN WHEN SHE HAD MITES THEY NEVER GOT LIKE ABIGAIL'S. SO WHY NOW IS THIS POINTY GROWTH POPPING OUT?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom