Please help diagnose

bumblerumble20

Chirping
May 22, 2020
Hello, I cannot figure out if this is bumblefoot, scaly leg mites or gout. She is one of 4 in a flock of ladies. She is about 8years old. All the other girls have normal looking dark legs not these pale pink looking things. This girls appeared with this situation. They are cool to touch and there is not any broken skin on the bottoms of her feet or on her “toes.” She is walking fine and didn’t mind me soaking/proding her feet. They have a well insulated and radiant heat area in their coop esp near their perch.
See pics. Thank you so much for any advice.

Attachments

• IMG_1877.jpeg
    IMG_1877.jpeg
    181.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1878.jpeg
    IMG_1878.jpeg
    260.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1884.jpeg
    IMG_1884.jpeg
    263.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1886.jpeg
    IMG_1886.jpeg
    230.7 KB · Views: 7
Different hens have different color skin and leg shafts making legs and the bottom of the feet different colors. This hen appears to have white skin. Did her leg color change? What breed(s) is she?

Different hens have different color skin and leg shafts making legs and the bottom of the feet different colors. This hen appears to have white skin. Did her leg color change? What breed(s) is she?
Yes her feet color has definitely changed. They used to be dark grey like the other hens. She is a blue favan
Thank you so much for answering-she is a Blue Favaucana and her skin has changed. It used to be dark grey just like the other hens which are the same breed as her.

Is this hen still laying? Are the other hens of similar age? Are they laying? I know when I had Wyandottes the yellow in their leggs would vary with layers legges appearing lighter.

Yes her feet color has definitely changed. They used to be dark grey like the other hens. She is a blue favan

Thank you so much for answering-she is a Blue Favaucana and her skin has changed. It used to be dark grey just like the other hens which are the same breed as her.
Is this hen still laying? Are the other hens of similar age? Are they laying? I know when I had Wyandottes the yellow in their leggs would vary with layers legges appearing lighter.
Thank you so much for responding.They do lay albeit slowly in the warmer months and we are in the Northeast so they aren’t laying now. The other hens are the same age. I hatched them around the same time and they are same breed.

Being a Faverolle x Araucana mix she still has some remnants of feathered legs and the bigger, a bit lifted scales to go with it.

For a hen 8 years of age her feet/legs look great. Maybe just massage a little vaseline into the outer scales after a foot bath.
The light colour of her shanks and rosy foot pads are normal for Faverolles.

I see no bumble foot nor scaly leg mites at present.

Being a Faverolle x Araucana mix she still has some remnants of feathered legs and the bigger, a bit lifted scales to go with it.

For a hen 8 years of age her feet/legs look great. Maybe just massage a little vaseline into the outer scales after a foot bath.
The light colour of her shanks and rosy foot pads are normal for Faverolles.

I see no bumble foot nor scaly leg mites at present.
Oh my goodness! Thank you so much. It’s like Christmas early with this news. These are my little babies and I was so sad when I thought something was wrong with her feet. Why would hers be light pink and all her mates be dark grey when they are the same age and breed-I wonder?
Thanks so very much for your help. I appreciate it!

Why would hers be light pink and all her mates be dark grey when they are the same age and breed-I wonder?
That is the mix of genes, she obviously has a stronger expression of the Faverolle parent than her siblings. Or were there maybe some other possible mothers/fathers in the parent stock?
Were one of the parents a true Ameraucana or rather an Easter Egger?
You could post some pictures of the siblings and their parent birds/flock you sourced the hatching eggs from.

That is the mix of genes, she obviously has a stronger expression of the Faverolle parent than her siblings. Or were there maybe some other possible mothers/fathers in the parent stock?
You could post some pictures of the siblings and their parent birds/flock you sourced the hatching eggs from.
Is it entirely possible that I never noticed her legs were so light?
Well is it entirely possible that I just never noticed her legs were lighter? If that’s the case then I’m okay with being an in observant dumb a$$ is that means she is okay. Hahaha! I don’t have pictures of her parents unfortunately.
Thank you so much for your help! I appreciate it so much. I had so much go wrong the last couple of weeks, the last thing o wanted was for one of my hens to fall ill too:(
Thanks again

Well is it entirely possible that I just never noticed her legs were lighter?
As they often have some soil on their feet and legs from digging, it can be difficult to see their true leg colour from afar and even more the one of their feet soles.

Have a wonderful Christmas! 🎄🎅

Back
Top Bottom