Need Expert Opinion about Hatching

Vermontmaple

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 2, 2009
Beautiful Vermont
We are thrilled to have 4 "newborn" chicks in our incubator right now. I've got 14 more to go. When they hatch, when (or maybe I don't) should I open the incubator and take out the broken shells?

What will happen if I haven't turned eggs the last day (meaning day #17). I've been afraid to open the bator with the chicks in there b/c they are so "wet" I don't want them to "catch cold"....LOL

I have some eggs that I forgot to put the date on.........we'll see how it all goes.

How can I tell the sex of the chicks?

Do I have to worry about the chicks "pecking" each other in the bator?

We've been very fortunate; I couldn't ever figure out how to candle them and so far, so good!

Wish I knew what kind of (older) chickens I have, how can I tell? People are asking me what kind I have but the only one I know is a Welsummer.

Can I get child support payments from my neighbor? She is the one with the rooster?
woot.gif
LOL

Thanks for your input on any of these questions........

Quote:
The eggs should be fine if not turned from day 17 on.
smile.png

You usually can't tell the sex until 6 weeks or later.

If you post some pics in the what breed/gender is this? forum someone should be able to help you figure out what breeds you have.

Hope that helps a bit!
smile.png

Can I get child support payments from my neighbor? She is the one with the rooster? LOL

I like that. Can I get child support payments from my neighbor?

I don't think it will hurt not turning your eggs on day 17 because I have 2 different dates in my incubator right now: June 12th and June 14th and so I going to be on LOCKDOWN starting the 10th which would put the June 14th a day without turning but I am not worry about that.

Good luck and congratulations on the chickies.​

Thanks for the information. It really, really helps!
I did not put the eggs in at the same time. I'll learn next time. I put them in on 5/19; 5/21 and 5/22 then of course some that I didn't put dates on are probably 5/20.

Back
Top Bottom