Need expert opinion!

andreanar

Crowing
5 Years
May 16, 2014
Finger Lakes, NY
Ive come across a person that breeds Croad Langshan. They have photos of their eggs as being very pink. I screenshot a photo of her eggs but not sure if I should post it, as its not mine. Any how, how likely do you think it is that they are really that pink? Before I go spending money to get some of the chicks or hatching eggs.
egg8.png
This is not the breeder persons photo, just one I snagged off a random search. But the one egg in the middle is close to what the person shows as what their Langshans lay. Close, but the breeder persons eggs are even more vibrant.

I looked these up not too long ago because of another discussion on BYC. The birds lay brown eggs with a purplish bloom on them is how I remember it.

Hopefully, someone comes along that raises them and can give you more info!

My neighbour had Croad Langshans. One or two had a very slight purplish bloom but the base colour was pale brown and even the best ones were fairly unremarkable. Not even close to the colour of those eggs in the photo and my gut feeling is that the lighting has been adjusted or a filter used to create that effect. I do not believe that it is genuine. They were also poor layers and he regretted buying them. I actually culled them for him after 2-3 years because they had no redeeming features.... not friendly, poor layers, constantly broody and average egg colour. They tasted ok though even if they were a bit tough!

Most extraordinary colored egg layers are not stellar producers...
...and ads adverting them are usually 'tweaked'.

Buyer beware....if it looks to good to be true......<shrugs>
Sure is tempting tho, eh!?
Def tempting! Ive quietly messaged a few others who have gotten eggs, and chicks from them in the past to find out the real deal. So awaiting on those answers. Ill let ya'll know. And if it turns out to be real, then Ill give anyone on here that's interested, their info in a pm.

Is this breeder close enough to you that you would be going in person to make any purchases? If so I would simply arrange a visit and then ask to see the eggs in person while you're there before actually handing over any cash to make a purchase. A good breeder should have no problem with this and should understand especially if you've already told her that be color is one of the driving forces for your selection of this breed

This is an older thread, but I got my Langshans from a breeder that has a pen dedicated to developing the pink color. I have not seen any as pink as the middle of that picture. They are definitely a duskier pink than bright pink. The underlying color makes a big difference. I would ask to see the eggs before handing over and cash. Good breeders have no problem showing you their breeding stock, housing conditions, and the product being purchased before you buy. The only times I have ended up with crummy chickens, I did not visit in person first. For what it is worth, she gets significantly more of the pink eggs from her mauve project birds. Either way, they produce a lot of hens and she has trouble getting enough roos to support the breeding project.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom