Need FFA project Meat Duck (Sacramento and surrounding)

OrangevaleDave

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 25, 2014
My son needs a duck for his FFA project. I have no idea where to find one somewhat locally. I looked online but I ran into issues of minimum orders and weeks long wait times. I really need to get a hold of one before the start of school on 2-3-14 which is only 10 days away. I was under the impression that we could purchase the project bird through his FFA program but it turns out this is not the case.

This project fowl will ultimately end up on a plate after the projects conclusion so I am not looking for a pet type duck. The bird will be housed at the agricultural barn at his school and the project will be monitored by his instructor.

Edit: I may need more than one duck. I am awaiting an email from his instructor to see how many others are doing duck projects. If its only one or two others than I will most likely be looking for 2-4 ducks to fill out a small flock.

Last edited:
I have not looked in the free/re-homing section, I figured that since ultimately it would end up at auction or on our own plate I should pay for it. I will start looking there tonight. I do need a baby to start with. The intend is for him to raise it, personally give any vaccinations required and show it at the state fair at the end of the school year in late July. After that it becomes food. I would hate for someones pet to be turned into food.

Sacramento Craiglist
~~I have baby jumbo pekin ducklings that im selling. $7 for a duckling or get 10-24 ducklings for $6 each. Get 25 or more and is $5 per duckling. I have 150 ducklings to pick from. These ducklings will grow big around 10-14 lbs in 2 months.

I am in FFA at a highschool near your area. At our school, you can purchase turkeys and sheep and such, but no chickens or ducks. I would DEFINATELY look on Sac craigslist. Also, in Shingle Springs,Ca which isn't too far from you I don't think, there is a feed store called Lees Feed. They just started getting in their poultry shipments last Friday. You could check their website and see if they have ducklings yet. Hope this helps! :)

Also, Pekin ducks are a good meat breed for your son to raise if you manage to find them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom