Need Good Ol' Chicken Dog

Okay, I understand. So, by your definition, pariah dogs are basically semi-feral landraces rather than true breeds? Do you consider a type of dogs that breeds true to be a breed even if there is no formal registry? Would you consider Carolina dogs/American dingoes to be pariah dogs? Those have had an on and off history with humans, some of them live completely wild.

The book I have been looking in does not have the two Asian breeds I was looking for... I am starting to think I won't find it, that its in some other book. I remember what they looked like. One of the dogs was medium-sized with long gray hair. The other dog was smaller with black fur, and I think it may have been from Tibet or China- ???

If the OP is interested in getting a new dog, she or he should try to find one of those "all-around" good working farm dogs, seeing as Havanese are too small for many predators and Alopekis are 1. also small and 2. extremely rare and probably only in Greece. I have heard good things repeatedly about coonhounds and Blue Lacys.

I think it is probably better to just try and re-train the dog you already have, animalspooker.

Okay, I understand. So, by your definition, pariah dogs are basically semi-feral landraces rather than true breeds? Do you consider a type of dogs that breeds true to be a breed even if there is no formal registry? Would you consider Carolina dogs/American dingoes to be pariah dogs? Those have had an on and off history with humans, some of them live completely wild.

The book I have been looking in does not have the two Asian breeds I was looking for... I am starting to think I won't find it, that its in some other book. I remember what they looked like. One of the dogs was medium-sized with long gray hair. The other dog was smaller with black fur, and I think it may have been from Tibet or China- ???

If the OP is interested in getting a new dog, she or he should try to find one of those "all-around" good working farm dogs, seeing as Havanese are too small for many predators and Alopekis are 1. also small and 2. extremely rare and probably only in Greece. I have heard good things repeatedly about coonhounds and Blue Lacys.

I think it is probably better to just try and re-train the dog you already have, animalspooker.

Yep, Carolina Dogs are pariah dogs, but they were domesticated by the Native Americans that brought them from Asia.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carolina_Dog

Some people say pariah dogs = street/urban strays but the Carolina Dogs are anything but, yet people consider them to be pariah... the different definitions get kind of confusing. So pariah = primitive, free-roaming?

Some people say pariah dogs = street/urban strays but the Carolina Dogs are anything but, yet people consider them to be pariah... the different definitions get kind of confusing. So pariah = primitive, free-roaming?

Dingos are called pariah dogs too. I guess people use the term differenly, like how they think "cur" means mutt when actually it's a category of hunting dog.

Last edited:
Hm, I have never heard dingoes called pariah dogs... except for the "American dingoes" and New Guinea Singing Dogs, if those count. Interesting.

Pariah = feral / not directly owned by an individual household. The Pariah dogs do have a certain look that curs are consistent with. Dingos, Carolina Dog and a few others are feral dogs that have become naturalized and can persist without human intervention so long as something like wolf is not overly abundant. Most do live in closer association with humans and both species often benefit.

Dingos are called pariah dogs too. I guess people use the term differenly, like how they think "cur" means mutt when actually it's a category of hunting dog.

A cur can also mean in certain circles a dog who does not perform the task he was bred to perform. Not really relevant to this conversation, but interesting how we label dogs.

A cur can also mean in certain circles a dog who does not perform the task he was bred to perform. Not really relevant to this conversation, but interesting how we label dogs.

A feist is a go-to-ground hunting dog, like a terrier; and a hound trees their prey; but a cur is an all-around hunting dog that can do it all. In the South the cur is a source of pride. Curs also herd livestock and protect the family. But they have to be trained not to kill cats and chickens.

I have Catahoula Curs and a Black Mouth Cur. They have a strong prey drive. My neighbor is a hunter who trained his Mountain Cur not to mess with chickens by tying a dead hen she killed under her neck and leaving it on her for several days. That's the old timey method, and it works.

A feist is a go-to-ground hunting dog, like a terrier; and a hound trees their prey; but a cur is an all-around hunting dog that can do it all. In the South the cur is a source of pride. Curs also herd livestock and protect the family. But they have to be trained not to kill cats and chickens.

I have Catahoula Curs and a Black Mouth Cur. They have a strong prey drive. My neighbor is a hunter who trained his Mountain Cur not to mess with chickens by tying a dead hen she killed under her neck and leaving it on her for several days. That's the old timey method, and it works.

Yes, I know the now recognized breeds of "curs" are great dogs. I was pointing out the term has been used for a long time for both positive and negative conotations. Long before they were given a "official" name. The term cur is still used today (specially by old timers) to refer to a dog that was bred for a specific purpose, failed at that purpose, and needed to be culled from the breeding program. How this might have related to actual "named" breed of curs I do not know. Maybe the breed of curs were looked at as a Jack of all trades but master of none? Way of topic

Yes, I know the now recognized breeds of "curs" are great dogs. I was pointing out the term has been used for a long time for both positive and negative conotations. Long before they were given a "official" name. The term cur is still used today (specially by old timers) to refer to a dog that was bred for a specific purpose, failed at that purpose, and needed to be culled from the breeding program. How this might have related to actual "named" breed of curs I do not know. Maybe the breed of curs were looked at as a Jack of all trades but master of none? Way of topic

In what part of the USA was the word "cur" used for a cull? In the South it's been used for hundreds of years as a type of hunting dog, as far as I know, long before breeds were recognized.

Back
Top Bottom