Need Help — duck abandoning eggs after 28 days. The ducklings are about to hatch!

Once they dry and are fluffed and nothing sticks out of belly. Like let over yolk sac? you can put them into some warm water nice and warm in a warm room, and work on getting the goo and egg shell off. You might have to do this in stages depending on how much, But they might just clean their eyes out for you too they love to dunk their little heads. Once finished pat dry and place right back under heat. How are they today?

Hello! We had a couple more hatch last night so we had 5 ducklings waiting for us in the incubator this morning! 8 & 9 look really healthy, just tired.

6 & 7 were both fluffy and looked ready to come out, they're doing really well with the siblings.

We left #5 in until everyone else was settled and brought him into a warm little bath in a warm room. A little but of egg-stuff and eggshell came off which is good, but we may need to keep doing it. He's got a pretty hard/really encrusted splotch of egg-goop that's dried on his back and parts of his wings. We also dunked him a little bit which seemed to help his left eye a bit, he was able to squint and seemed to be able to see out of it. I picked up some terramycin last night, so I rubbed his little eye down after the bath. No immediate improvement but he's back in the brooder now warming up and seems healthy otherwise. He's chatting, toddling around, and getting food and water. He's started cleaning which seems promising; he might be able to remove some of the gunk himself.

I'm a bit worried about #4, you can see him here on the left side, while #5 is in the middle of the brooder there right after his bath. #4 doesn't move around much and is (almost) constantly sleeping. He also keeps his eyes kinda squinty, although I HAVE seen him open them all the way. I put some terramycin around his eyes in case they're a little crusty. I also got some nutri-drench and put a tiny bit on his bill last night and this morning but he still just seems exhausted. He loves to cuddle though and if they come out of the brooder to say hi he loves to just cuddle up and fall asleep with you. I'm really hoping he makes it, but he's very weak. He gets a little food and water but not as ravenously as his other siblings.

20210605_084504.jpg

Thank you! They're all very friendly. It seems the "special" ones are the friendliest...4 and 5 both love to chat and like to be around us the most it seems so far! Everyone else is getting the zoomies and learning that water is fun. 1, 2, and 3 are already noticeably bigger.

We've been giving him a little nutri-drench every few hours, not so much dribbling it in his mouth so much as getting it on his bill and letting him slurp up a little. He's been eating a little bit more and also drinking, but not nearly as much as the others. I'm just worried because neither of us have had a duckling so drained-looking before...he just constantly looks exhausted. He also keeps his eyes half-shut most of the time although I have seen him open them pretty far, it's almost like he's walking around in his sleep. I hope he pulls through, I hate seeing little ones suffer! If you or anyone have any more ideas don't hesitate to share them.
Oh the zoomies. 💖 I love the zoomies! 💖

Have you tried softening his crumble with water or making it kind of soupy? Or offering small pieces of scrambled egg? I have heard that this can help get them to eat.

Oh the zoomies. 💖 I love the zoomies! 💖

Have you tried softening his crumble with water or making it kind of soupy? Or offering small pieces of scrambled egg? I have heard that this can help get them to eat.

Actually yes! Most of the food he does eat is food sprinkled in his water, it's just that he stops eating pretty quick and falls back asleep or just stands there and dozes off.

There could be just hard to know for sure, hopefully today you'll see more improvement.
When I ordered Runner ducklings in the mail in 2019 2nd time to ever have live birds come in the mail. Went and picked them up at the PO all 4 were perky and happy, then after a few days 2 of them just stopped eating I tried all I could think of but lost those 2 and hatchery called it shipping stress, I called it heartbreaking, anyway I started scrambling eggs every morning for the 2 that were still acting okay they loved them. Actually, I cooked them in the microwave. Try the scrambled egg and see if it helps perk #4 up. Sure can't hurt.
Sure pulling for this little one, they can sure waddle into our hearts fast. ❤️

I had a Orpington hen (chicken) who went broody right after her sister. It’s amazing the difference these two have been my Mauve Orpington got 2 legbar pullets next day after hatch and at 8 weeks she still has them with her. The other one acted like she was ready for chicks to but she wasn’t. I like to find out who will be my best mamas and they are the ones who get to hatch or get chicks or ducklings. Thank goodness you have an incubator I don’t I have to rely on my birds so I have to know who will follow up. Sounds very encouraging with your little ones. Looking forward to pics

Unfortunately a sad one. Today just before noon little #4 passed away. I was gone at work but my SO was with him all day and was with him when he passed. She was holding him and he started peeping, and looked up, started to spasm and then was gone. He was very excited to hatch and was very sweet; loved to be held. Poor little one. We buried him under the willow tree.

We had many tears today, but the rest of the brood are doing well. We're moving them to a larger brood home tomorrow so the little bunch will have more room.

Only concern I have is for #5's eye still, he seems good otherwise but is still squinting. I think most of the slick bits near the eye are actually eye drainage. We've been spraying him twice a day with the Vetricyn for eyes since that is supposed to flush the eye in addition to solve some other issues.

Here's a pic of the little guy:

View attachment 2708962

Sorry the photo is so red, he's in the brooder here. I'm not sure how long to treat it using this method before trying something different. The first day and a half we used teramycin before switching to the vetricyn spray. He's doing good in terms of eating and drinking, running around. Also super friendly and is usually the first to come back and cuddle after zoomies.

Here's a group photo:

View attachment 2708972
I'm so sorry for your lost of little #4. He was so precious. I'm glad you got to spend his sweet, too short, life with him, and that your SO was able to hold him in his last moments. 💖

Is the vetricyn specifically for eye use? Once when I bought it there was a kind for eyes and a kind for wounds in general. I haven't bought it for a long time though so it might have changed.

Do the ducklings have access to water deep enough to dunk their entire heads in?

I love your group photo.

Very sorry ya'll lost #4. You sure tried your best , I'm sure he felt the love from you both.
but look what you have to help with the hurt ❤️ what an adorable picture.

I think I'd go back to using the Terramycin for a few days. You can let him swim and wash it out good then put the Terramycin in.
and you don't have to have a pan of water in the brooder. If you don't you'll be able to keep it dryer just let them swim in the tub in warm water and give them a bowl with water to dunk their heads into. you’ll probably need 2 with the number of ducklings you have. Something like this. Sure helps keep the brooder dryer and if you sit it on a tray or pan ( I used a broiler pan I picked up at Good will). I put puppy pee pads under the water also.
DD2FDDAA-C4DB-43B3-84A8-F3D4FF6A665D.jpeg

Oh my goodness, they are so adorable! Thank you so much for the tag and the photos!

I'm not sure what to do specifically for young ducks, but for my adult ducks I keep them with regular fresh cool water like you. And I also make sure they are in the shade by putting their water and food in the shade. I bought and put up big shade tarp thing for them. It's pretty warm here, too, and my ducks don't like it!

Back
Top Bottom