1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

-NEED HELP-1 week with 2 weeks, getting picked on *pics

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lovelychicken, May 14, 2009.

1. lovelychicken

lovelychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    Ok, well I asked if I should put these guys together last week and I did, they were doing fine until I moved them all to a big brooding cage and now all the bigger ones are doing is picking on the little ones. I have two small and two big. They dont peck so far, just running after them, chasing them. I am about ready to get rid of the easter eggers, the bigger ones. What should I do? They've been amped up today. Oh, they are also in front of four large windows, thought they could use more light. So is it the extra light/the extra space??? I am afraid I'll come back to two little mangled chicks at this rate. I really do not want to separate as it will make integration a pain in my butt later.
    They have big chunks of dirt and grass in there, perch, dont know what else to do! Help.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  2. yodercountrygirl

yodercountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

sorry I don't know too much myself. Maybe someone else will help.... I would try and seperate them in the same brooder if you could.

3. m2wandc

m2wandc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    why is a later introduction a problem?

I ask because I have a 2.5 week gap between my chicks and have them in separate brooders right now, wondering when and how to get them all together...

4. lovelychicken

May 9, 2009
    they said the sooner the better unless of course they are fighting. i have a very large brooder for only four chicks though, maybe a larger brooder isn't always better...im lost, who knows.

5. whippet128

whippet128 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2009
    try putting a red film on the windows. Maybe they are getting to much light. the red bulbs and painted windows works for me. I intergrate different age chicks all the time.

6. lovelychicken

May 9, 2009
    red film??? never seen any of that. im gonna see if i can find some old sheets of something. i just posted some pictures of the set up. they calmed down a little for now, my son gave them a few worms. course only the big ones got any.

7. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    An owner of a farm store told my mom to put Vicks Vapor Rub on the smaller ones... apparently the older ones dont like the smell and it keeps them off of them...I have not tried it, but it wouldnt hurt to try![​IMG]

P.S. You have a very impressive brooder!!!

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  8. m2wandc

m2wandc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Quote:Wonder if that works on horny toad hubbies as well?? Hmmmm [​IMG]

9. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Quote:Sounds to me like they are fighting.
    Seperation may be your only option if if continues to go on..
    Very nice brooder!!

10. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Quote:Wonder if that works on horny toad hubbies as well?? Hmmmm [​IMG]

LOL ya know it would never hurt to try!!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by