-NEED HELP-1 week with 2 weeks, getting picked on *pics

lovelychicken

Songster
10 Years
May 9, 2009
Ok, well I asked if I should put these guys together last week and I did, they were doing fine until I moved them all to a big brooding cage and now all the bigger ones are doing is picking on the little ones. I have two small and two big. They dont peck so far, just running after them, chasing them. I am about ready to get rid of the easter eggers, the bigger ones. What should I do? They've been amped up today. Oh, they are also in front of four large windows, thought they could use more light. So is it the extra light/the extra space??? I am afraid I'll come back to two little mangled chicks at this rate. I really do not want to separate as it will make integration a pain in my butt later.
They have big chunks of dirt and grass in there, perch, dont know what else to do! Help.

Last edited:
why is a later introduction a problem?

I ask because I have a 2.5 week gap between my chicks and have them in separate brooders right now, wondering when and how to get them all together...

they said the sooner the better unless of course they are fighting. i have a very large brooder for only four chicks though, maybe a larger brooder isn't always better...im lost, who knows.

try putting a red film on the windows. Maybe they are getting to much light. the red bulbs and painted windows works for me. I intergrate different age chicks all the time.

red film??? never seen any of that. im gonna see if i can find some old sheets of something. i just posted some pictures of the set up. they calmed down a little for now, my son gave them a few worms. course only the big ones got any.

An owner of a farm store told my mom to put Vicks Vapor Rub on the smaller ones... apparently the older ones dont like the smell and it keeps them off of them...I have not tried it, but it wouldnt hurt to try!
thumbsup.gif

P.S. You have a very impressive brooder!!!

Last edited:
Quote:
Wonder if that works on horny toad hubbies as well?? Hmmmm
lau.gif

LOL ya know it would never hurt to try!!!!
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom