Need help - 2 day old star-gazing duckling

jmorgan111

Hatching
Oct 31, 2018
hey everyone! Last night I took on a duckling that, from what I’ve read/researched, is star-gazing. It is constantly looking up at the ceiling, will fall over on it’s back if not supported and can’t get back up. A friend of a friend had them and a few died within 24 hours leaving just 1. They didn’t know what to do so my friend, knowing I tend to take on “special” animals reached out to me about this little one. I picked it up last night and am told it’s a blue Swedish/Cayuga mix. So far I can get it to eat an un-medicated flock raiser crumble slurry/broth and drink water with vitamins/electrolytes in it. Also started it on terramycin for some eye issues at the advise of the local feed store. I have it set up in my bathtub, in a basket with a stuffed animal to snuggle and a heat lamp (not ideal but it’s what I have on hand with little notice). I started treatment last night and eyes already seem a lot clearer and little one actually seems to be getting better/stronger but I still have to hand feed and water it. It has quite the spunky attitude. Is there anything else I can do to help this little one? I’ve never rehabilitate a duckling before. Taken on a lot of other animals but have stayed away from taking on birds since they seem (to me) to be so finicky and difficult to pull through. Any advise/guidance is appreciated!!

**I do have adult chickens and ducks, but they’ve always been healthy so no rehabbing experience to draw from this time.

Last edited:
E218E343-3193-44F8-BDDE-06579AC23DFD.jpeg
Here's another article on another site. you could make a 'tea' with the listed herbs.

https://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2014/04/preventing-and-treating-wry-neck-in.html

Thank you!! I’ll definitely look into those options. I was a little nervous about it getting enough food but we finally have a little normal looking poop when I went to check on it!!! I’ll try to attach pictures to show what this little peanut is doing. If I move my hand/finger away it launches itself backwards. This is what is in the supplement the feed store gave me too.

Attachments

• 443E175F-C68E-470F-8081-18D0748DE739.jpeg
    443E175F-C68E-470F-8081-18D0748DE739.jpeg
    633.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 6CC29F7E-F3CC-4A3F-9C82-068BD57FA5C6.jpeg
    6CC29F7E-F3CC-4A3F-9C82-068BD57FA5C6.jpeg
    205 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Some stargazing is from a hereditary issue, or an incubation problem, but a thiamine (vitamin B1) or vitamin E deficiency can be a cause. I am not familiar with ducks, though. I would try some vitamins including B1, E, and give some chopped egg for a bit of selenium which helps with uptake of E. Make sure that the duckling has enough to eat and drink, since it may not be able to get enough.

Thank you so much!!! All the suggestions possible are so appreciated! Not getting my hopes up too high but really hoping I can pull it through. Little peanut is already nuzzling it’s way into my heart. The outside link you sent said parsley is high in Vitamin E so minced some up and have it seeping. Will try giving some of that “tea” during next food/water session.

Some stargazing is from a hereditary issue, or an incubation problem, but a thiamine (vitamin B1) or vitamin E deficiency can be a cause. I am not familiar with ducks, though. I would try some vitamins including B1, E, and give some chopped egg for a bit of selenium which helps with uptake of E.

Thank you! It won’t eat solids yet but I’ll try mashing egg up in the broth/slurry to attempt to get some in there.

Yes def liquid b complex and vitamin e. Just put tiny drops right inside the bill. Some have used poultry nutrition drench along with liquid b complex so try them and see which one works the best for your little one. You can use human liquid complex Walmart has it 3 ml daily or go to TSC and buy cattle dept liquid b complex that will be 1 ml a day it’s more concentrated. Yes hope one of these products helps.

Back
Top Bottom