Need Help. adoptee came with an unexpected issue.

Allycat57

In the Brooder
Feb 23, 2021
I have just adopted 2 ducks and a chicken today. and it was a bit dark. we realized when we got home that there is something wrong with the one. I am no stranger to poultry of all kinds. but once in awhile you run into an unkown. i think this is an injurie, not a disease. there were two mini pigs there and i think this is an injurie from one. i bought some MicrocynAH and the three newbies are in quarenteen. can anyone give me an idea what this is and how to treat it. i'm not likeing the messy bill either. hoping that's normal. none of the ducks i've have now, or had over the years have ever had this issue. Thank you in advance!
20210223_200154[1].jpg
at.
20210223_200139.jpg

Last edited:
I'm no expert but that looks like illness not injury. I would guess upper respiratory illness of some sort. Rinse the eyes and give water deep enough for her to rinse her whole head and flush her narries.

do you know anything about the place they came from? If the ducks had access to clean deep water, what their pen was like, food, etc? If nothing else it looks like they could definitely benefit from being properly cleaned up. Its hard to tell if thats eye goop or something worse on top of an open wound. Same with the bill, tough to tell what's dirt and what's something else going on. I'd bring them inside and give them a warm tub to soak in and clean themselves up a bit if you can

It looks kind of like foamy/sticky eye which is an infection, not an injury

I think this may not be an actual problem for you. It's possible that the duck wasn't able to keep herself clean, possibly due to insufficient clean water, and dirt and gunk built up around her eyes. This usually happens toward the front of the face. Because the dirt mixes with eye gunk (sorry for the technical language!), It gets very solid, and when the duck tries to clean it some feathers around her eye may tear out, and it looks like that has happened.

If you decide to let the duck handle things on her own, I recommend a low three-gallon tub, plastic or rubber, that they sell in most farm and feed stores. Fill with water, place it in her pen, and let her wash on her own. Change the water when it gets dirty and make sure she has straw, not mud, to stand on when she gets out of the tub. It may take a couple of days for her to get it all out.

For these ducks, it's summer, and they are in the open barnyard, not their pens, but this is the tub I am talking about:

Alternatively, this could probably be a good moment for bonding with your new duck. If you have a dishpan that fits inside your sink or bathtub (Walmart has them for $1.59, if you don't), fill it with clean warm water. Have a cup and a washcloth nearby. Your duck will want to flap wings in the water, but don't let it. Hold the wings close to the body and lower the duck into the water. Use the cup to pour a warm water over the duck's back.

Once the duck realizes that this is duck spa time, she will probably relax. Dip the washcloth into the water and wipe the back of her head first, then dip the washcloth into the water and showly drip it onto the bump near her eye. You can scratch at the dirt very gently with your fingernail, if she lets you. That will gradually help to loosen the dirt. I have done this for ducks who were going to shows, and it takes a long time to get the dirt out without removing feathers with it.

Full disclosure: dress to get wet.

Ducks and other waterfowl have inefficient tear duct glands so rely on head deep water daily to lavage out any debris, dirt, or bacteria that may accumulate in their eyes. When face deep water is not provided, debris begins to accumulate over the surface, which causes inflammation over the surface and eventually will lead to conjunctivitis.

In the picture, you can appreciate the erythema of her conjunctiva. My first step would be applying a warm damp cloth to the eye, and gently try to massage out any debris. Afterwards, give the eye a copious flush using some warm saline, or just plain tap water. Finally, apply an ophthalmic ointment such as Terramycin to the eye, at least twice a day.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/pfizer-terramycin-opthalmic-ointment-1-8-oz
To prevent this from reoccurring, head deep water should be provided at all times.

I have just adopted 2 ducks and a chicken today. and it was a bit dark. we realized when we got home that there is something wrong with the one. I am no stranger to poultry of all kinds. but once in awhile you run into an unkown. i think this is an injurie, not a disease. there were two mini pigs there and i think this is an injurie from one. i bought some MicrocynAH and the three newbies are in quarenteen. can anyone give me an idea what this is and how to treat it. i'm not likeing the messy bill either. hoping that's normal. none of the ducks i've have now, or had over the years have ever had this issue. Thank you in advance!View attachment 2542992at.View attachment 2542995
You've been given some great advice! I had a rescue drake with a similar issue. After giving him sufficient water so he could dunk his head into it, and treating with terramyacin (which Issac suggested) it cleared up in a matter of weeks. Good luck with him! Hope he has a quick recovery. :D

do you know anything about the place they came from? If the ducks had access to clean deep water, what their pen was like, food, etc? If nothing else it looks like they could definitely benefit from being properly cleaned up. Its hard to tell if thats eye goop or something worse on top of an open wound. Same with the bill, tough to tell what's dirt and what's something else going on. I'd bring them inside and give them a warm tub to soak in and clean themselves up a bit if you can

It looks kind of like foamy/sticky eye which is an infection, not an injury
a little tough to do today as i had to shut water off my hot water heater died last night. LOL they had a shed that was shared with chickens. open space by woods. they had 2 once small pigs. and the 2 ducks and 1 chicken are all that was left. The area was open but wooded. i have similar space so no doubt that some of the other 11 chickens were gotten by preditors. they are not acting diseased. it's just that one. and it is an indentation with skin around. i still kinda think the pigs could have nipped him, or tried to eat him. but it could have gotten infected and causing other issues. wonder if i should get some antibiotic to put in the water? 25 yrs ago you could get terramicin (?) easily i think that's what it was called. any idea of what is used today and can i get at it locally instead of online?

ok trying to catch up now. My hot water heater died and i'm trying to sanitize the items he gave me with ice cold stream water. LOL I am having a great time. Thank the good lord i have the stream!! and my birds are so pissed and curious! quarenteening is so fun!

Back
Top Bottom