Need help again identifying hen

johnny9580

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 10, 2011
Well this hen was sold to me as an araucana hen but I'm pretty sure it's not. I'm also pretty sure it is not a mix because the lady who sold her to me hates to mix different breeds. This hen has a small crest on the back of her neck and that is the only thing that I think would help identify what breed she is.

91246_dscn2069.jpg

91246_dscn2066.jpg

She is an EE pullet. I don't know why her feathers on the neck stick up like that but it is not a crest. Maybe she had an injury (tear in the skin on her neck) that causes it to stick up like that.

If you guys are sure I believe you but all other araucanas that she sold me looked like this. She must just be a very bad example of the breed
roll.png
91246_dscn2070.jpg

How old is she? For a hen, she has some impressive saddle feathers! Nothing else scream rooster to me, but those are pretty "drapey".

Pretty sure she's some kind of mix, don't see the typical green legs of an EE though. Not really seeing the muffs and beard much either.

No matter what, that's a really pretty bird!
big_smile.png

Quote:
I suspect she is not a legitimate breeder. Looks like another mixed breed roo, who definitely needs some extra protein and TLC.
hmm.png

Quote:
She is around 4-6 months old and still hasn't started laying. I was thinking the exact same thing about the beard and she's 3/4 the size of the others. As for being a rooster.....I really don't know.

Quote:
I suspect she is not a legitimate breeder. Looks like another mixed breed roo, who definitely needs some extra protein and TLC.
hmm.png

Yeah he was in pretty rough shape but 5 acres of new free range land should fix him right up
wink.png
. He mostly looks like in a rough shape because the hens were pecking at him. As for being a legit breeder....mmmmm....well I have bought from her before and she never did me wrong.

Back
Top Bottom