NEED HELP!!! Ancona Hatching Eggs - what do I do!?

A malefyt

Hatching
Aug 8, 2016
I am in need of some help. I had a chicken and two ducks sit on Ancona duck eggs approximately at the same time. The chicken sat earlier than the ducks by 5-6 days.
I candled the eggs under them today and have found eggs in various stages under all of them!!
There are eggs that looks like they're about 10 days along and then there are some eggs that look like they're internally pipped, and some that are inbetween!
The Chicken pushed one egg out of the her raised nest. It was cold when I found it. It wasn't moving, and I was sure it was dead. It hadn't internally pipped and the air sack was super low. I suspected it was shrink wrapped. I cracked open a hole in the air sack, and it looked dead. So I cracked it a little more and it opened its beak a little bit. It didn't look great though. So I brought it in, put it under the incubator, and wrapped it with a wet paper towel. It died a couple hours later.
She has some other eggs that look like their air sacks are pretty low too and like they're stretching the membrane but not internally pipped.
Should I do anything about these eggs or just leave her with them?
I did mark when she sat, and they're not due until Thursday.
Should I try and sort out the eggs that look near hatching under the experienced broody hen, and put the ones in the middle under one duck, and the ones that look about 10 days along under the other? Or just leave them be?

I'd sort them out and put the ones that are about to internally pip under the experienced broody and the others under the one duck... sounds like they were playing egg roulette and swapped them around a bit... yes, even if the one nest is raised it can and does happen, lol... broodys are egg hoggers...

Due Thurs, but starting to internal pip today can happen... just move them around so each broody that has eggs will hatch around the same time...

X3 what Ravyn said.

Sort them out and mark them as well. That way you'll know if they are still swapping eggs. I've had ducks pip early and hatch late before so they should be fine.

Last edited:
Thank you! That is what my instinct said, but wasn't sure if that was a no-no. I totally think they're swapping eggs, but didn't know that happened!
What would you do after the shrink-wrapped one that died on me? I have a couple more that are interally pipped and a couple that look like they're stretching the membrane but not pipped through. Should I assume the humidity is too low under them and mist them? Would that even help?
The girls are great about getting back on their nests after I candle them.

How's your weather? Has it been really dry? Has the duck been getting in any water at all? By this time, she may not be. But if they look that dry, I wouldn't mist them. Misting actually works opposite, and helps pull more moisture out.

You might consider taking some into the incubator if they internally pip and don't progress? Possible safety hole, and assist?

The weather WAS really humid for the last two weeks, but it has actually been "normal" and not humid the last couple days. The ducks haven't been getting in the water and the chicken doesn't ever (obviously). Two have internally pipped at least as of this morning, and are still rockin in their shells, but no external pip yet. And as of this afternoon the two that seemed to be stretching their membrane are still at that phase. Would you bring them into the incubator if they're not pipped through internally by tomorrow? Or just let things go and see what happens? I don't want to stress the birds pulling them off their nests more than 1xday if I don't have to.

That's a tough call. I tend to think broodies sense what is going on, so if they are staying put, then I'd think something will still happen. Are these experienced mommas?

I'm sorry, I really think you will have to trust your gut on which way to go.

Back
Top Bottom