NEED HELP ASAP - Chick is stuck

We've chatted a bit in another thread about this already but I'm responding here so I'll get notifications. As I mentioned before, it's really just a wait and see situation. Sorry I can't say anything else more certain. You will almost certainly know within a few days. It tends to be about 50/50 for chicks that don't finish absorbing the yolk. whatever isn't absorbed will dry up and fall off with time. Just be careful to keep a clean brooder and if at all possible to get chlorhexidine I really feel like it's the best product for these situations. Just dabbing it on the navel area daily will help to prevent bacterial infection like the antibacterial ointment but it isn't sticky like the ointment is and will allow it to dry more readily. Fingers crossed the little one pulls through for you. :fl

New pictures of our little patient
20210722_201023.jpg

And new video - https://rumble.com/vk7cus-problem-child.html

I know chicks don't generally need water right after they are born since they can subsist for a few days on their yolk sac but since this little fella bled so much I went ahead and dipped his beak in some water. He drank a little bit. I do have Nutri-Drench and Sav-A-Chik on standby if needed.

I don't think I have any Chlorhexadine. Don't even know what it is.... But I will look it up, go take a shower (filthy from the garden) and go to the store to see if I can get any. Having horses, I tend to keep an extensive array of medical supplies but I don't think I've ever come across that before.

There are many different brands out there but I believe this is what she's talking about:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018KTB81...abc_HXX0MBF10ZZHZAWH9YCN?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I would not be putting anything on him because the less you touch that tender spot the better...the less change you have of breaking it.

Hibiclens (sp?) Can work but it's a soap so not optimal for this. You should be able to find chlorhexidine at a farm store. I agree with Kiki, vitamins are helpful to give a little boost when they're contending with anything out of the norm.

IMG_20210722_215818400.jpg

Hibiclens (sp?) Can work but it's a soap so not optimal for this. You should be able to find chlorhexidine at a farm store. I agree with Kiki, vitamins are helpful to give a little boost when they're contending with anything out of the norm.

View attachment 2770405

OK, I went by the farm store today.... Darn it.

I can try to run over there at lunch tomorrow

What about using Neem oil on it? Neem oil is anti-bacterial and anti-fungal...

Pretty sure I don't have any Chlorhexadine. I have just about everything else you can imagine though...

I wouldn't use Neem oil. I've used it in gardening but I don't know anything about it's safety with chickens or use with wounds so I would say no.

Back
Top Bottom