Need help asap

I_luv_chiks

Chirping
Mar 16, 2019
Indiana
I had a momma hatch eggs so exciting well they are a couple weeks old . I just went out to check on them and the smallest baby has been pecked to where her whole back is showing i quickly took it out of cage
What do I do. but then I noticed momma is attacking other chicks esp when they try to eat and they squeal too the point they are running from her do I need to keep her away from them?

How much space do they have?
How many weeks is "a few weeks"?
Are they feathered out of still fluffy?
What breed is the mom?
Is this her first group of chicks or has she raised chicks before?

Can you post a pic of the injured chick?

If she is pecking and causing injury or won't let them under her for warmth I would take them from her.

They are 2 to 3 weeks old. They are getting wing feathers but still have lots of fluff. The baby that is hurt is the smallest of all iI and it is a diff breed the others seem taller and getting feathers faster. Mom is a silver laced wyandotte this is her first time being a momma we got her as a chick in Feb. She was amazing with her eggs and has done amazing with babies very nurturing. Right now they are in a coop that's about 12ft by 7ft.

Snapchat-1925188613.jpg Snapchat-905295589.jpg Snapchat-1925188613.jpg

Ouch, I would put all the babies in a brooder if mom is doing that, and raise them yourself. clean the poor baby and I put some neosporin, triple antibiotic or dab some betadine to prevent infection, that one would do better with a divider in the brooder so they can see but not touch until it heals, make sure it doesn't get flies around it as they will lay their eggs then you have to treat for fly strike, and a chick that small it could be the end of it if that happens.

Also would put a band if you can't tell which broody she is and break her every time she goes broody

Last edited:
Take the babies away from the broody and get them in a brooder with heat. There could be something wrong with the injured baby chick, but if she is pecking others, they need to be raised separate from her. Clean the would twice a day with saline, Vetericyn, or betadine, and apply Triple Antibiotic Ointment.

Back
Top Bottom