Need Help ASAP

Sonshineacres02

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2021
I have posted a couple of photos of our coop set up below. Here’s the situation. We have had our hens (Three Wyandotte’s and three Turkeys) for about three weeks.
Our chickens get free roam of our property during the day And I have quickly learned how disgustingly messy they are. I am trying to train them to stay off of our back patio but I am still finding poop and it grosses me out knowing that germs are getting tracked in the house.
The biggest issue that just occurred to me as we are bringing home a nine week old standard poodle puppy in two days.
I am terrified he will get sick from eating chicken droppings. Our 3 to 4 foot chain-link fence is not keeping them from popping on top and flying over. I need some sort of quick and easy fencing to make them an area connected to the poop that they can hang out in during the day. I need some sort of quick and easy fencing to make them an area connected to the poop that they can hang out in during the day.We have the space for it to be decent sized We have the space for it to be of decent size.
I have seen the plastic poultry fencing with step in plastic posts. Well that really contain them? I’m concerned about them making it over the top. Will that really contain them? I’m concerned about them making it over the top.
The other issue is they have been popping over to the neighbors and she is about to plant the garden.
Please help! I have a very limited amount of time to get this done (today 😂)
A07C2E82-5927-4113-AD27-A66EB5474503.jpeg
E7CF01EE-EBC0-4F53-A389-1EF967171ADC.jpeg

Last edited:
You've had them 3-weeks ... is that how old they are? Are they old enough to clip some wing feathers? It may be worth reading up on ... I really don't know much about it at all.

You've had them 3-weeks ... is that how old they are? Are they old enough to clip some wing feathers? It may be worth reading up on ... I really don't know much about it at all.
No they are adult hens. We adopted them. We actually clipped one hens wings (well only clipped one wing) but it doesn’t seem to make much of a difference.

maybe try clipping both wings on each hen, my chickens poop all over the yard and our patio too, usually I have to powerwash it off. My dog roxy has a 25 ft chain for the yard she hasn't tried eating any of their poop.

Chances are that your dog will cherish the chicken poops as if they were delicate truffles. I can't keep my wife's beagle from searching them out; the little turd gobbler only gets a half cup of kibble in the morning and evening but still weighs a porkish 28 lbs mostly due to her hunting down chicken treats for extra calories. I advised my wife to stop feeding her altogether since she's obviously getting enough calories to keep her roly-poly.

You could get a 50-100ft roll of 2x4 fencing and tie it in to the existing chain link fence to form a square/rectangle and stretch a big poultry net over the whole area attaching the edges of the net to the top of the 2x4 and chain link fence. You can order nylon poultry nets off of amazon. They are pretty cheap considering there size. If you do not cover the top then your chickens will just get eaten by a hawk.

I would be more worried about your dog killing your chickens than the chicken poop making the dog sick. Standard poodles were historically hunting dogs and have a stronger prey drive than many people expect. :)

In either case, creating a secure run for your chickens is a good idea.

With one exception, my chickens stay inside my 48" Premier 1 electric poultry netting even though I haven't clipped their wings. As a general rule, they don't like to fly over a fence so much as to fly up onto a fence and then down from it. If you extend the height of your fence with something floppy that they can't land on they may be content to stay inside it.

Chances are that your dog will cherish the chicken poops as if they were delicate truffles. I can't keep my wife's beagle from searching them out; the little turd gobbler only gets a half cup of kibble in the morning and evening but still weighs a porkish 28 lbs mostly due to her hunting down chicken treats for extra calories. I advised my wife to stop feeding her altogether since she's obviously getting enough calories to keep her roly-poly.
Dogs are just gross, aren't they? Mine have never met a type of poop they didn't like. Winter time walks turn into a game of Find Buried Nature's Raisenettes.

CAC74012-.jpg
Found some, Mom!

Back
Top Bottom