Need help badly!!!!!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by quailboy 73, Jan 15, 2011.

1. quailboy 73

quailboy 73 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2011
    Southeast Georgia
    Can anyone give me a idea, why would i be losing birds? Last year i had to no problems with my Bobwhites.I started a new year with new birds.Every couple of days im having bird die on me. The wierd thing is just one bird will die every couple of days. I have had three birds die in the last ten days. What should i do? The thing about is i dont believe their Vet around that knows anything about quail. Please help!!!!![​IMG]

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Call your state extension service. They will be able to help you find some resources available in your area. They should also be able to help you find a vet willing to do necropsy on some of your birds.

Sorry for your losses. Good luck.

3. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    do you suspect its a predator or an illness?

It may be a parasite - like worms or you could have a bug going through the flock. Birds wont' show much sign of illness until its too late so it can be very hard to tell.

Check this site & see if anything jumps out,

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/birdbiosecurity/

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  4. 4nematode

4nematode Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2010
    MD Eastern Shore
    Here in Maryland, a necropsy of poultry is free through the Dept of Ag--paid for with federal disease prevention funds. Check with your Dept of Ag first...in their livestock health area. They may do the same for you. Sorry for your losses.

5. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Are there any symptoms before they die?

6. quailboy 73

Jan 14, 2011
    Southeast Georgia
    Thanks for the info. Right before the bird dies, it stays over to side on its on. They stand there like a statue

7. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Is there any swelling around the eyes or nostrils? Are they on the ground or wire?

8. quailboy 73

Jan 14, 2011
    Southeast Georgia
    No swelling anywere, food and water is on wire. Birds are on the dirt

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  9. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

i don't know what is wrong ... just wanted to say that i'm sorry for your loss.

10. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    We need a lot more info than this to be able to help.

Maybe you can start with these questions, which are from the emergency section. This way, people here might be able to help more. Also, what other types of poultry do you have, where are they housed in relation to the quail, etc. Are they inside or outside? Have you gotten any new birds lately or visited any places where there are poultry? Have you been anywhere that you might have brought disease in on your shoes? Describe your biosecurity practices, etc.

Give us the following information. The more you tell us, the better we will be able to help you.

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
    2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by