Need help. Barred rock hen X welsummer rooster

Redheadhomestead

Songster
Jul 4, 2022
Nc 🇺🇸
Hey everyone I’ve been doing quite an extensive research haul here and this one thread is leaving me a bit confused. Thread attached below

I am running my first incubation with barred rock hens and welsummer rooster. From what I’ve researched this should yield a black sex link. Further research has told me all black head=pullet black with white dot=roosters. I thought it was pretty clear cut and dry and then I found this thread by okiehen and got confused again

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/welsummer-roo-x-barred-rock-hens.175494/

It turns out he/she crossed exactly the way I would like to but ended up with brown and black birds? I just wanted to cover my bases before they hatch and this happens to me. Are the browns female? Are any other colors other than black female (as long as there is not dot on the head?

Thanks in advance!

It should be as clear as solid black = pullets and black with head spot = cockerels with that pairing so I'm wondering what his Barred rock was hiding in her genetics to produce the brown chicks, maybe she wasn't as pure as thought?. I know it happened to me when I used a cuckoo bird that wasn't pure for extended black (she was a cross breed)
They also say all the black are cockerels and browns pullets but I see solid black birds, which would indicate sex-link females. Sadly I don't see an update on if he was correct or not with the sexing.

It should be as clear as solid black = pullets and black with head spot = cockerels with that pairing so I'm wondering what his Barred rock was hiding in her genetics to produce the brown chicks, maybe she wasn't as pure as thought?. I know it happened to me when I used a cuckoo bird that wasn't pure for extended black (she was a cross breed)
They also say all the black are cockerels and browns pullets but I see solid black birds, which would indicate sex-link females. Sadly I don't see an update on if he was correct or not with the sexing.

Yea there seemed to be some confusion throughout the thread and no real bow was ever tied on it. I really appreciate your help with this. This is exactly how I understood it until I stumbled across the aforementioned thread!

It turns out he/she crossed exactly the way I would like to but ended up with brown and black birds? I just wanted to cover my bases before they hatch and this happens to me. Are the browns female? Are any other colors other than black female (as long as there is not dot on the head?
That cross should have worked.. even if some had brownish down.. the key here was the sex linked barring head spot.

In my opinion.. of the thread you linked is perhaps they were mistaken about who their parents were. Accidents happen all the time.

What were your results? :pop

The results were exactly as expected. The males had a white spot and at 10 weeks are growing out like barred rock roosters and the females were pitch black without the head spot and at 10 weeks are showing plenty of golden leakage around the neck!

Hatched March 17th!

Attachments

• IMG_7872.jpeg
    IMG_7872.jpeg
    1,014.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_7876.jpeg
    IMG_7876.jpeg
    946.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_7874.jpeg
    IMG_7874.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 17

Back