Need Help Changing Law in Henrietta NY

chris241

Hatching
9 Years
Jul 4, 2010
In a few hours I will be taking my six 4 month old chickens away. An unreasonable neighbor caught a glimps of one and called the town.
I hope to get a special permit from the town. Any words of wisdom?

How do we get the law changed?

I am crushed. ticked !!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Someone has to approach a town/city/ whatever elected official and ask for a change in your town/ whatever laws.

Now I'll give you the same words of advice I've given others do not do this with unclean hands, this means you should find someone else who hasn't mocked the laws of your town and help them.

You have left your effort (if you choose to be the one to ask for the change) open to criticism that really has nothing to do with chickens and everything to do with your behavior.

The powers that be do not respond positively in such a situation (it is just human nature).

Fox I agree with you.

I talked with the town be for we got the chicks and was told that as long as no one comlained it was not a problem but if someone did complain the birds would have to go away.

Someone complained and the birds are gone. What is you opinon with this bit of information?

My opinion is that the folks in that town aren't playing with a full deck.

You will likely get a knife in the back from the smiley faces.

Now that you have my opinion which of course is worth less than the price of the electrons that will cause my words to appear on your screen, what are you going to do?

First, have you verified what the written ordinances and zoning code say? Generally code enforcement is complaint driven, but no city or town official worth his/her salt would tell someone that they can or should do something that is against code. Of course, phrasing makes a difference. A couple of years ago I asked a question about our sign code and was told that it is generally complaint driven, that on weekends the inspectors are not on duty driving around looking for violations. (I don't even remember the exact question, just that it was related to temporary signs for special events--only a limited number per year are allowed.) I could have taken away from the conversation that it would be pretty easy to not be caught displaying temporary signs more often than allowed, but in no way could I have taken from it that it was okay unless someone complained.

Chris,
Please contact me directly about this at [email protected]
I live there too and this may be changing in the next month, I can give you more details on it. We could certainly use your support.
Thanks!

Laura

We need help in Newark, NY 14513 (Town of Arcadia).....just down the road from you, .we have been to court once and are going back again. The Town does not have an ordinance for or against having chickens on residentially zoned properties in the Town. We have been on talk radio and in the local newspaper twice. Everyone around us is getting on board, the Town of Canandaigua/ the City of Canandaigua....Buffalo Rochester.....we live in a rural community, our property is surrounded by corn fields that are zoned (get this) residential.

We've been told by the Town Attorney, that because we ingest the eggs we have gain (we didn't purchase eggs at the local grocery store).......

Please contact me at
[email protected]
Jackie Snyder
(315)879-1824

How did this work out for you? I am looking into raising chickens in my backyard in Henrietta, NY. It looks like the code says you can have up to 6 hens as long as it is alteast 20 feet away from your neighbors doors and you keep it clean. Is this the same code that was in place when you ran into this problem?

-Andrea

Andrea,
I am happy to hear you are interested in keeping some hens!
We did get the code changed, it sounds like you found the details online. Previously, no chickens were allowed at all. I have a spare application you can have. You have to apply to the town before you build your coop and buy your chicks. Feel free to contact me directly with any questions. [email protected]

Laura

Back
Top Bottom