NEED HELP! Chick not holding head up

Penske

Songster
12 Years
Dec 28, 2007
Massachusetts
Hi all!

Well, finally our chicks arrived-14 of them, all alive.
i picked them up at 7:15 am this morning and they had been traveling since Monday.

They ate and drank right away. One, a white cochin, stood under the bulb, head hanging down. I thought she just needed to warm up. Later, she did perk up and eat and drink, but she doesn't hold her head up. When she's sleeping, and gets bumped by another chick, she runs backwards all the while with her head down. Do you think she's just over-tired???

We have a 60watt white bulb at the front keeping the brooder at 84 degrees and a 250 red bulb at the back keeping that area about 93. Most of the chicks have stayed to the front by the white light. Room temp is 72.

Any experience with this. This chick is also my daughter's chick...

Lisa

I read the thread you suggested. I don't think it's botulism as this is a two day old chick straight from Meyer hatchery in Ohio.

It is a white cochin.

I think it might be crooked neck. It's not bent to the sides, just down.

The chicks are warm and moving about the brooder making happy noises. This morning, she was the loudest.

I had a vitamin/electrolyte packet that does contain B1. It's in the water now.

How do I give her water, if I need to do that???? Will this cure her?? She's so tiny...

Thanks to any and all for your help. I did read Dl Unicorns posts about this, but this is a 2 day old chick...not sure of amounts etc.

Lisa

Well, the package said 1/4 teaspoon per gallon of water.

Thiamine Mononitrate (mg min) 375 per 4oz

I have the mixture in a quart chick waterer.

Does that help?

It's made by Agrilabs and it's a 4oz package. So...I guess the 375/4 oz is if I used the whole package? (which of course I didn't !)

Thanks for your help!

Lisa

Update...
the little chick seems fine today! maybe she was just cramped in the box or something. Her head is fine today and she's not running backwards!

This is so fun!!

Back
Top Bottom