Need help: Chick with an inflated crop..foamy vomit

Janzen

Chirping
9 Years
Mar 27, 2014
I have a 6 day old chick with a very huge crop, filled with foam.

Background/environmental conditions: Because a few had pasty butt, at the advice of the hatchery, I tried some raw ACV in their water. The chick feed I have used is Manna Pro medicated chick starter. Bedding is pine shavings and I clean it daily. The underside is small mesh wire so it stays very dry. Temperature is good. Chicks were received happy and healthy, except a few with pasty butts.

Now about the chick: I can see that there is a foamy substance in the crop as well as some bits of food. I have massaged the crop and the foamy clear watery substance is vomited. The crop reduces in size temporarily. She appears to try to adjust her crop because she extends her neck and does this head bobbing action after she has eaten. She appears healthy otherwise: eating, drinking, pooping, chirping, and running. I don’t smell anything sour in the foamy vomit. It is also clear. Her poop looks normal. Her vent is a little bulgy. I have stopped using ACV in the water, to try to eliminate at least one variable.

I have read on other threads to try coconut oil and maybe grit for the crop issues. What is the purpose of the oil? Could the medicated feed + the ACV caused something? Any other advice for a large, foam filled crop?

I have a 6 day old chick with a very huge crop, filled with foam.

Background/environmental conditions: Because a few had pasty butt, at the advice of the hatchery, I tried some raw ACV in their water. The chick feed I have used is Manna Pro medicated chick starter. Bedding is pine shavings and I clean it daily. The underside is small mesh wire so it stays very dry. Temperature is good. Chicks were received happy and healthy, except a few with pasty butts.

Now about the chick: I can see that there is a foamy substance in the crop as well as some bits of food. I have massaged the crop and the foamy clear watery substance is vomited. The crop reduces in size temporarily. She appears to try to adjust her crop because she extends her neck and does this head bobbing action after she has eaten. She appears healthy otherwise: eating, drinking, pooping, chirping, and running. I don’t smell anything sour in the foamy vomit. It is also clear. Her poop looks normal. Her vent is a little bulgy. I have stopped using ACV in the water, to try to eliminate at least one variable.

I have read on other threads to try coconut oil and maybe grit for the crop issues. What is the purpose of the oil? Could the medicated feed + the ACV caused something? Any other advice for a large, foam filled crop?
Oil helps everything move through the digestive system as it should.

Being that you have them on shavings it's possible it may have a particle stuck? Doubt ACV in the water is the issue; mixture is 1T/gallon water & not metal containers. Coconut Oil is to "lube" anything out. I never offered grit but it don't hurt and I now offer to chicks.
It could also be pigging out, and not very comfortable. Day old chicks usually don't have crop issues from my experience.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Back
Top Bottom