Need help, chicken dying and suffering

meggers32

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 8, 2008
Mt. Vernon, WA
Hi everyone,

I have posted in the past about this poor little sick chicken that I have. I have tried everything to save her for 5 weeks now, but to no avail. She is dying, her eyes have been closed for a day now, she has solid white poo and I just came home from church and saw that she has tiny little bugs crawling all over her. She is close I am sure, but I can't just sit and watch it anymore. How can I humanely put her out of her misery? I have NEVER done this before and I am scared to death. Please give me some ideas and encouragement on how to do this? Thanks!

Best way to end it quickly is to sever the spinal cord. Some people will just snap the neck with their hands. I prefer to cut the head off with some sharp scissors or shears...it's bloodier, but I know for sure that it worked instead of wondering if I broke the neck all the way. Sorry you have to go through this...good luck.

The thing I would do if chop off her head. It's not fun, but honestly I think that would be the only thing I could get myself to do. It's quick and it's over.
Let me add I don't think I could do it myself. I would have dh do it for me.
You don't want her to suffer any longer. You have done what you could and that has to be good enough for now.

hi..i'm sorry to hear about your little chicken!..
sad.png
....if it were me, i'd chop her head off..its very quick..and painless..(if its done correctly)..its how i'd want to go..(i think)...
hmm.png
...i've thought of other ways....the pithing(where you stick a knife in its brain through the mouth)..is just to risky..what if you mess it up?....drowning...no..that must hurt.....there is also the broom stick method...ever hear of that?....i wish i could help more, sorry, Wendy

Hubby cuts the head off also, that way you KNOW it worked. Plus they never know what happend and you cant screw up !!

Have you treated her for bugs ?? That could cause her to be weak/anemic Do you think she has had the bugs all along ??

At 5 weeks I think she is to big for the scissor method, that works good on chicks 1 -3 days old. Is there anyone who can help you ?

Im sorry
hit.gif
about this you did all you could. You fought hard but she gave up. I would chop her head off I know it sounds bad but its for the best. Just think its the best for her and it will put her out of her misery. Good Luck im very sorry. At least you tried and never gave up.
hugs.gif

With "special" birds...you can always use the pellet method.

Tie the bird down, put the end of the air-gun just behind the eye (if the comb is perpendicular to the ground), or at the end of the comb (if the bird is in the natural position with the comb parallel to the ground)...and pull the trigger.

Thank you all so much for your input and kind words. I ended up not needing to put her down after all, she passed not long after I posted. You know, I knew these types of things might happen when I got chickens, but when it came right down to it, it was a hard choice to make. Not because I did not want to stop the suffering, I just never ever envisioned myself chopping off the head of an animal. I am a work in progress, a self-sufficient wanna -be in progress. I have always had animals, but never had to terminate it myself, the vet has the horrible job. I was really upset with myself for having such a hard time with it, why couldn't I just do it!
he.gif
I asked my hubby and he was willing to do it, why could I not get myself to do it? Something was so just so tough to get past. Some of you old timers, how do you get past it, wether it is for terminating for sickness or food? Well, anyhoo, sorry to rant. That is all, thanks again for your help!

I am sorry for your loss. I am concerned about the 'bugs' crawling all over her. Were they tiny little things?

Mites and lice will weaken them and cause them to become anemic and will eventually kill them. However, they are very treatable.

Well, glad she's RIP now !! Its hard, it really is !! You just have to say to yourself "it was for the best" and it was !! The first bird you loss/put down is the hardest I think. I could never cull a bird either hubby does that stuff for me, dont feel bad that YOU couldnt do it, its not cut out for everyone !! Sorry again
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

About the bugs I was thinking the same as Cetawin, but at this point it doesnt matter.

I would suggest you dust you whole flock for mites/bugs/lice, if she had them chances are the others do, and bugs can make chicks/chickens weak/sick/anemic !! Good luck !!

Back
Top Bottom