Need help, chicken dying and suffering

hey meggers
I just went through the exact same thing today, my leghorn died. She stopped laying eggs about a month ago, and then just a day before thanksgiving she was extremely lethargic. I separated her from the others, and went out of town for thanksgiving. left her with food and water, and she was still alive when I came back, so began trying to force feed her water and some soft food. I actually felt like I may have killed her with the water. She seemed to take it, but then she died last night. I found out that she too was covered in bugs. In fact I had a bug trauma the other day because one got in my hair, and I thought I had contracted them at some point, not realizing that she was actually covered in them, and one had gotten on me. Its very sad. I feel like a horrible chicken owner, but I just didnt know about the bugs, and certainly didnt know it was killing my chicken.

I know exactly how you feel, my chicken last week came out of her coop with her comb purple and I thought she might have gotten frostbite so I closed them in the next few really cold nights, she still had a purple comb but she ate just fine and acted normal but a few days later she passed away and I cried like a baby, I still do not know what happened to her my other chickens in with her are just fine but she had the purple comb and she had feathers plucked on her back side about the same time, she only lived about five days after her comb turned purple,people at work looked at me funny when I told them about my chicken, they were like it was only a chicken, but to me she was part of my family, R.I.P Peggy

Back
Top Bottom