NEED HELP CHICKEN MAY BE DYING

Jan 14, 2018
Monks Corner SC
My hen has not eaten nor drink anything for the past week. I forced to give her some poultry cell which has vitamins. Had to give it to her by a Syringe. I got a latex glove and went 2 inches deep to see if she had a egg stopped up,but everything looked good. She walks funny like squatting. Gave her some bread that was soaked with olive oil to try and soothen her stomach. Her stomach feels really tight. I put her in some warm water and let her sit in it for about 10 minutes. Tried massaging her vent and stomach to loosen up. I’m so worried about her she isn’t a farm animal she is my forever pet. I love her with all my heart. If you have had this problem let me know because I want to know what you did to help it. Please help because I’m terrified somethings going to happen.

Attachments

• 553845A4-2487-49E0-8072-6EF95E9BDBE8.jpeg
    553845A4-2487-49E0-8072-6EF95E9BDBE8.jpeg
    508.2 KB · Views: 24
  • CEE2EE33-A730-4EED-B1AE-8184E00AAD81.jpeg
    CEE2EE33-A730-4EED-B1AE-8184E00AAD81.jpeg
    374 KB · Views: 22
  • CF778627-03B6-4531-9211-B0139FDA3C25.jpeg
    CF778627-03B6-4531-9211-B0139FDA3C25.jpeg
    602.4 KB · Views: 22
Is it her crop or just the area in between the legs that is tight? I'm assuming you do mean the latter. I would feel a little deeper, sometimes it can be higher up. If you can't feel anything, I would bring her to a vet. If she is indeed egg bound, the egg will need to be removed by the vet if you can't get it.

Ascites is common in some hens from heart or liver failure, and also in reproductive disorders. A vet could drain her belly, and that might help her temporarily, but the fluid does accumulate again. You can try draining yourself with a 14 gauge or 16 gauge needle, but it is not without risks. Here is a YouTube video about how to drain:

Is it her crop or just the area in between the legs that is tight? I'm assuming you do mean the latter. I would feel a little deeper, sometimes it can be higher up. If you can't feel anything, I would bring her to a vet. If she is indeed egg bound, the egg will need to be removed by the vet if you can't get it.
It’s the area behind her legs I live in Anderson sc and they won’t see animals like this they only accept dogs and cats

That looks more like ascites (water belly) although,
When was the last time she’s laid an egg?
Did you give her a nice big dose of calcium when you soaked her?
Does she get oyster shell on the side free choice?
Do you feed layer feed?

@casportpony @Eggcessive
@Wyorp Rock
She laid an egg about two weeks ago and I feed her all flock raiser by purina with the other flock. I did give her some calcium (oyster shells) she wouldn’t eat it but I had to open her mouth for her to get a few pieces.

My hen has not eaten nor drink anything for the past week. I forced to give her some poultry cell which has vitamins. Had to give it to her by a Syringe. I got a latex glove and went 2 inches deep to see if she had a egg stopped up,but everything looked good. She walks funny like squatting. Gave her some bread that was soaked with olive oil to try and soothen her stomach. Her stomach feels really tight. I put her in some warm water and let her sit in it for about 10 minutes. Tried massaging her vent and stomach to loosen up. I’m so worried about her she isn’t a farm animal she is my forever pet. I love her with all my heart. If you have had this problem let me know because I want to know what you did to help it. Please help because I’m terrified somethings going to happen.
I have had that exact same problem, so I gave my chicken a warm Epsom salt bath to relax her, make sure you blow dry her and then I broke up a Tums in about six or seven pieces and fed them to her. She will not eat them so you have to open her beak and pop the pieces in one by one. The calcium in the Tums will help bring on contractions and help her lay the egg.I have had luck with this and usually the egg comes out within a couple hours.

I have had that exact same problem, so I gave my chicken a warm Epsom salt bath to relax her, make sure you blow dry her and then I broke up a Tums in about six or seven pieces and fed them to her. She will not eat them so you have to open her beak and pop the pieces in one by one. The calcium in the Tums will help bring on contractions and help her lay the egg.I have had luck with this and usually the egg comes out within a couple hours.
Thank you for your help. Glad that your hen was better after!

Back
Top Bottom