NEED HELP- Chickens without water for two days

kingme

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 25, 2009
Merced, CA
Hi all,

I have an issue I need help with. My flock ran out of water this week, I don't know for sure how long but I am guessing two days, I was traveling for work and the water didn't get changed. I filled the waterer with cool fresh water and the poor girls stood around and drank for a long time. I feel horrible about this. One girl seemed to go broody right afterword, but now she is fine, but I have not seen an egg for three days. I have seven girls, the day it happened we got one egg, then nothing for three days. I have been changing their water everyday since and along with their normal food, I have been supplementing some worms and things.

My question: Is this normal? Will they start laying again soon? I guess I really got spoiled getting 5-7 eggs a day without giving it any thought and then nothing...I am currently working on an automatic watering system so this will never happen again. Any thoughts are appreciated...

They'll probably be fine. Scary thing, though. I'm gonna look into that automatic watering so I don't have to worry so much when I go out of town.

I'm sure they'll be fine...just thirsty!
smile.png
When chickens are shipped in the mail, many times it take 2 days for them to get to their destination and they have no water in transit, so they just arrive thirsty. Give them a week or so to get back into the routine of things as far as the eggs go!
wink.png

The shallow dish stall waterers from TSC work wonders. If you have them indoors or the waterer in a coop just build a catch/drain basin for it to sit on to avoid splash and muddy floors.

I keep several large water bowls filled and one of those big waterers in the coop. I also have pot bellied pigs that live in the same area as the chickens so I have several small pools full of water around the yard. The chicken will drink from the pools. It works.

smile.png
Just keep spoiling them,they will be fine-you- maybe not -just kidding. It was not really your fault,things happen. They will keep giving you eggs,as long as you keep spoiling them.
wink.png

Thanks for the replies. I am happy to report we got two eggs today. Hopefully the rest will start laying again soon. I am looking into geting an auto waterer, the water nipple set up so this won't happen in the future...

Quote:
Hey youre from merced? Cool me too. But yeah they should be fine, but it sure has been getting hot here lately.

Just a suggestion...even with an automatic watering system, it's good to have a back up. Two sources of water are safer than one. It's the belt and suspenders approach.

Back
Top Bottom