Need help choosing a blue egg layer

silverchick_161

Chirping
Mar 28, 2021
I would like to add a blue egg layer to my flock. I live in Georgia and plan to free range, so looking for a breed that is heat tolerant and a good forager. I currently have 8 pullets and would like to add 3 to 4 more. I plan to keep a rooster and maybe try my hand at breeding next year. My current pullets are a barred rock, 2 lavendar orpingtons, 2 partridge penedescencas, a blue copper maran, a golden buff and a jubille orpington.

I would like to add a blue egg layer to my flock. I live in Georgia and plan to free range, so looking for a breed that is heat tolerant and a good forager. I currently have 8 pullets and would like to add 3 to 4 more. I plan to keep a rooster and maybe try my hand at breeding next year. My current pullets are a barred rock, 2 lavendar orpingtons, 2 partridge penedescencas, a blue copper maran, a golden buff and a jubille orpington.
Cream Legbars are a great breed for that!

I would love to get a blue layer, but I'm in the other kind of climate, so cold tolerance is my need. I do not free range, and don't plan to.

Any suggestions?

Pea comb, so Ameraucanas or WTB... I can’t remember off the top of my head what kind of comb a CL has... :idunno
Single

I’ve kind of given up finding an actual blue layer. I’ve tried many kinds (not WTB yet) and the bluest eggs I’ve ever gotten have still been a tealish color. Always a hint of green. I think “true blue” layer doesn’t really exist. Just eggs that look sort of blue, so people say “yes! Blue!”

Anyway, people see colors differently, so maybe it’s just my eyes, seeing green where other people wouldn’t. :idunno

Breeds I’ve tried:
Lavender Ameraucana
Buff Ameraucana
Cream Legbar
Many, many Easter Eggers

Some of the EEs are the ones that came closest to real blue. But those were very pale, almost white. I’ve decided to just be happy with green and teal.

To the OP: You will be able to make nice Olive Eggers with a blue egg rooster and your Penedesenca. :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom