1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Need help decideing when to get chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Livinzoo, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Livinzoo

Livinzoo Songster

Mar 2, 2008
    Statham, GA
    I have two batches of chicks coming (I got the bug) These will be my first chicks. The first set are actually 4 ducks with packing peanuts (roo chicks). I don't know how many peanuts there will be. The second batch is from a breeder and will be 20+extras BLRW and cochins.

Should I try to do all of these at once, or should I stagger them? If I stagger them how many weeks should I give between shipments? Keeping in mind these are my first chicks, but I have kept and still have many animals. (including parrots I handfed).

I'm planning on brooding the ducks separate cause of their messiness, but don't know if I should brood the chicks all together (if I get them at the same time) or keep them separated.

Also how big of a brooder would 20+ chicks need?

Thanks for any and all advice.

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Crowing Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I think it would be fine to get them all together if your up to it. I also don't see any problem keeping all of the chicks in the same brooder to start off with. With that many chicks, it sounds like a childs swimming pool might be the best set up to start with. See the brooders post section. Good luck with them all! They are soooo fun! [​IMG]

3. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Songster

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    Oh my god..DUCKS!! First rule for ducks is space...

Inside brooder- 10 sq ft per duck for first two weeks, add 15 for each week after that

Outside run- 100 sq ft per duck, be sure you have access to a lake full time

Inside Coop- 50 sq ft per duck, clean out daily

Haha! That is what ya gotta have for easy duck keepage!!! Any duck owner will agree!

BTW- this is a joke.... so laugh and cower in fear at the work ahead of you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: