Need help decideing when to get chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Livinzoo, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Livinzoo

Livinzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Statham, GA
    I have two batches of chicks coming (I got the bug) These will be my first chicks. The first set are actually 4 ducks with packing peanuts (roo chicks). I don't know how many peanuts there will be. The second batch is from a breeder and will be 20+extras BLRW and cochins.

Should I try to do all of these at once, or should I stagger them? If I stagger them how many weeks should I give between shipments? Keeping in mind these are my first chicks, but I have kept and still have many animals. (including parrots I handfed).

I'm planning on brooding the ducks separate cause of their messiness, but don't know if I should brood the chicks all together (if I get them at the same time) or keep them separated.

Also how big of a brooder would 20+ chicks need?

Thanks for any and all advice.

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I think it would be fine to get them all together if your up to it. I also don't see any problem keeping all of the chicks in the same brooder to start off with. With that many chicks, it sounds like a childs swimming pool might be the best set up to start with. See the brooders post section. Good luck with them all! They are soooo fun! [​IMG]

3. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    Oh my god..DUCKS!! First rule for ducks is space...

Inside brooder- 10 sq ft per duck for first two weeks, add 15 for each week after that

Outside run- 100 sq ft per duck, be sure you have access to a lake full time

Inside Coop- 50 sq ft per duck, clean out daily

Haha! That is what ya gotta have for easy duck keepage!!! Any duck owner will agree!

BTW- this is a joke.... so laugh and cower in fear at the work ahead of you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by