Need Help Deciding on Buff Brahma Bantams!!!!

Hummer

Songster
14 Years
Jul 9, 2009
Hello All,

Remember those buff braham bantams I ordered back in the summer, along with the cochin bantams??? Well, even if you don't - It is time to decide which ones I want to keep..... I don't know anything about brahmas. The Brahmas in question are bantams - I have 3 roosters and 3 hens. I have to keep one rooster out of the varieties that I ordered (Cochin, Auracana, Braham). I am leaning toward the Cochin, because they seem more friendly...and I have had these before... The Brahmas scream everytime you pick them up like something is killing them. They are very vocal, have been given the same treatment as the Cochins, but have a total different disposition than the Cochins. They come up to you and will walk all around your feet just like the Cochins, they just seem a little less tame. I am very interested in their egg laying capabilities as bantams go. I am heading to the sell tomorrow and I am trying to decide if I want to keep one of the brahma roosters to match the brahma hens...
hu.gif
I am afraid that if I sell them all - I will later find out that they are in high demand and wish I had them back...
barnie.gif
decisions, decisions.... I have one pen and would like to keep it that way... I know that two roosters, eventually, will not be very happy living in the same quarters... BTW, the auracana rooster that I have is very tame... I want to keep a couple of the auracana hens - but just hate to get rid of this friendly little fellow... The blue Cochins are very sweet and I have 3 really beautiful roosters to choose from and two lovely little hens... If you know anything at all about ANY of these varieties, please let me know! I would like to hear your opinions.
big_smile.png

I have LF brahmas and love them. I have a few buff hens with the 'tude of "I'll hang around you but I'll screech if you pick me up". I think you can get that attitude with individuals of any breed.
Don't know about the bantams, but my LF girls are excellent layers.
I've heard cochins aren't so great in the laying dept.
I adore my LF dark brahma roo.

Thanks, so much for your opinion!
big_smile.png
My husband really thinks the buff brahmas are pretty. I am wondering how long the young roosters will get along - since they were raised together...

Quote:
I started out with two roos; enough for the 16 hens I had at the time. However, my subordinate roo was very unhappy living on the edge of the flock and there was a stressful undercurrent running through my flock that I didn't notice until #1 roo was re-homed.
My boys were raised together and got along well for the most part, but things are much calmer now with one roo to 13 hens.

Thanks for the info. Right night these guys are still young - 22weeks - I am thinking of holding on to one of the Brahma Roosters, just to see what he turns out like and also if I decide I really like the hens egg laying capabilities, I may want to raise some more... Pondering the idea of adding another pen.... My husband will probably kill me. We use to have 5 separate pens when I first started getting into chickens. I had all of these different varieties. Then I decided that was too much to keep up with and got down to one rooster and a few hens. We took down the old pens and my husband built me a new coop and pen for one flock of chickens! I really wish I had someone close by that would like a pair or possibly trio so that I could at least have them near if I decided I wanted offspring...
big_smile.png
Oh well...

Hello,

I have 5 l/f Buff Brahmas and I love them. My roo, Bodell, is the quietest of my roos and the sweetest. My girls haven't started laying yet, but, I so want some more of them! :eek:) I had to order mine from Ideal because I couldn't find any around here. But, I have several folks ask me about chicks in the spring!! Now, I just gotta get the Brahmas on board!!
lau.gif

Angie

Bodell - I love the name! It will soon be show-time and I am still trying to decide what to do... I think I will probably keep at least one of the Brahma Roos and keep at least two of the hens - if not all three... I was thinking I may get a good price if I sold a pair together - but really hate letting go of any hens. The hens are absolutely beautiful. The Roos still are going through a transitional stage
ya.gif

Thanks for your opinion!
cool.png

Go with cochins! I have them and LOVE THEM! !ahahah Yes there amazing social chickens.

Someone i know has bantam brahmas too and they are SOO pretty! But not friendlY :)

but the bantams dont lay alot on both ebds the cochins and brahmas but cochins are better moms!

GO ccochins!

Thanks so much!!!! It is getting down to the wire!!! I love my little Cochins, too. I have 2 favorite little roosters - how am I ever going to decide!!!
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom