Need help deciding which chickens to add to our flock

Thanks for all the replies!
I had some Barred Rocks that I raised from chicks and they ended up being so mean! I may try again tho
hmm.png

We decided that we are going to get
Cochin
Gold Sex Link
Speckled Sussex
Salmon Faverolle
Silver Spangled Hamburg
Silver Spangled Spitzhauben
And maybe some Barred Rocks
smile.png

We would still like a couple more breeds, since we have to get 25. Any other suggestions??

We own Black Java's - the mottled come from this breed, it's sort of a sub-set.

I have found the Java's to be calm, large, hearty birds that have laid consistently from 27wks. (Still haven't had a molt on these ones - they hatched more or less April fool's day 2011). Out of 5 pullets, I obtain an average of 4 eggs a day. Brown, dark brown, light brown with speckles, pale brown and a mauve brown. Apparently, Java's are also good mothers (one reason I got them), as well as a heritage breed (the other reason I got them).

As I'm northern Illinois, I'm aware of the problems facing our rooster (with a gloriously large single comb) this upcoming winter. Already purchased vaseline for him. We'll see how he fares. (The coop is also tightly insulated but well ventilated - we'll see how it all goes!).

I'd vote for them anyday!

On your list of desirables, I can recommend the cochin. I have a Black Cochin hen and roo. Both are extremely cold hardy, being decked out head to toe (literally) with the softest, downy feathers. The single comb hasn't presented any frost-bite problems. They are the quietest and most docile of the entire flock. The hen dogs my every step, begging to be picked up and cuddled. The roo has never shown the least bit of aggression, and permits himself to be held, though he isn't as keen on affection as his sister, who also is a very decent layer.

I love having such a mixed flock. I think you'll also enjoy the variety of breeds and the different personalities. You're doing the wise thing by inquiring of people who have experience with the breeds you're thinking of acquiring.

You didn't care for Orpingtons?!
ep.gif
I'm shocked. Those are ordinarily the nicest, most docile and friendly birds I've had. Maybe just a bad egg?
hu.gif

I have Silver Spangled Hamburgs and you should be aware that they are SUPER flighty. Not at all a friendly bird. Nice enough but you can't get within ten feet of them. I have bantams and large fowl varieties but LF is a misnomer for the larger birds as they are still quite small. To say nothing of their eggs! The eggs are the smallest in my flock and I have more than a few bantam breeds. They're white and cute, but you really need about a dozen to make breakfast for 2!

LF and Bantam Cochins are the sweetest chickens you can ask for. They're so fluffy, and so sweet. They are broody most of the time, don't lay that many eggs, but should be winter hardy as they have so much fluff.

I have one Golden Buff (RSL, GSL whatever..same thing), she lays the biggest dark brown eggs you ever saw. Super hardly, and docile girl. Would love to have a whole flock of'em.

My Light and Coronation Sussex are all layed back and super docile. They're very winter hardly, but not so summer hardy. Good layers (when the weather is good) of large tan eggs.

Seriously, you look at a Salmon Faverolle and tell me it's mean....
wink.png
They're so stink'in cute!!
love.gif

Silver Spangled Hamburgs are pretty to look at, but gosh are they mean! I had a SPH roo and that boy was the meanest thing you ever saw. Mean to me and all the other roosters. The hens are breath-taking though!
love.gif
I've never been overly fond of anything with a Rose or Pea comb, but the SPH hens are super pretty.

~Aspen

My 2 orpingtons where CRAZY!!!! I raised them from a day old and I couldn't get within 12 feet of those girls. Maybe they did come from bad eggs
gig.gif

I have Cochins ( bantams ) I think I will get some standard. Maybe I should just get one of each thats on my list
tongue.png
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom