Need help deciding which chickens to add to our flock

BookWorm243

Songster
9 Years
Oct 13, 2010
Franklin, NC
We are going to add some new chickens to our flock come spring but can't decide which ones. I want them all!!
big_smile.png
They need to be winter hardy as last winter we had many single digit days, with plenty of snow. They also need to lay a decent number of eggs, thats pretty much it
tongue.png
Any information I can get on the breeds I listed below would be great! Any other breed suggestions would be great as well! I am going to be getting these from a hatchery ( I know
hide.gif
) These are just pets and for eggs so getting them from a hatchery would be easier. I have had Orpingtons, Wyandottes, and Brahmas. I would like to stay clear of these ones, I have had them before from hatchery's and I didn't like there temperaments. Thanks for the help!

We are going to get these

Cochin
Gold Sex Link
Speckled Sussex
Salmon Faverolle
Silver Spangled Hamburg
Silver Spangled Spitzhauben

These are other ones I like, can anyone tell me more about these breeds??

Dorking
Catalana
Chantecler
Lakenvelder
Mottled Java
Kraienkoppes
Norweigan Jaerhon

Last edited:
Go with the Sam Favs. I love them. SO sweet. Even the roos. Lay pretty good year round and winter hardy.
I'd also say laced wyandottes but I see you don't like... BUT if you get them from a farm, not a hatchery you would have better luck with them. My girls are great. They don't like being picked up so much, but are happy girls, always come fastest for treats and such, and lay such nice eggs. But otherwise I'd definetly go the faverolle route, and get them from a breeder... hatchery birds are ok, but breeders who LOVE their birds are better...

Thanks!
I would like to get them from a breeder but there is no one local. Hatching eggs are out of the question because I don't have an incubator
sad.png
Any other ones from the list? I want to add more than one breed but I am definitely going to get some of the Sam Favs.
smile.png

We have a silver spangled hamburg. She flighty and hates to be caught, but will happily eat out of hands. Eats almost nothing but lays every single day, sometimes twice. Beautiful bird too!

What about rocks? They come in many color variations and they are winter hardy, and sweet too!
clap.gif
I have several barred rocks and they are wonderful!

My Silver Spangled Hamburgs are almost 7 years old and lay small eggs just about every day. They did well in record heat this past summer. We had record low temps in the mid 20's this past winter and did just fine. I dont know how they'd do in single digits and snow. They are not as skittish as Leghorns, but they love to fly. I recommend that you trim their feathers smartly once feathered out, or they'll be walking around on the roof of your house. They love to forage and come when called, and they get excited when treats are offered and will squawk til they get their treats (scratch.) Mine have never been broody and were purchased as day old chicks from MPC. I have never had any issues with them, they are very pretty birds. Good luck with your choices.

I don't know how you feel about White Rocks, but i got 2 of them from "My Pet Chicken". They are still too young to lay, but out of my flock of 16 mixed breeds these 2 are by far the friendliest!! They are the cutest, always at my door wanting treats and they follow me around like puppy dogs. They have such sweet temperments. From what i have read, they are good layers. The other one is a White Crested Polish also from "My Pet Chicken" She's a sweetie too, but are not known for laying to well!
102726_img_20111013_145511.jpg

I love my Speckled Sussex chickens, they are very docile and "talk" to us constantly. I have about 50 chickens of various breeds and the Sussex and Marans are my favorites.

I'd suggest you trim your list of likes (they are all beautiful) by first taking off the breeds that won't fit your criteria. To me the most glaring thing is to remove all the birds with a very large single comb. They might all be a problem with your need for winter hardy.

Then since your interest is egg production, I'd remove the birds considered to be more ornamental than productive.

Then I would pick the breed you like best from the list and pick maybe two more breeds of contrasting color or maybe a different shell color. That would give you variety in your hen house and egg basket.

Me, I live in sunny CA, I plan to add Silver Lakenvelder and Golden Campine.

Good luck on your decision.

Deb

Hamburgs are excellent layers. Medium size bird that forages good and lays extremely well. Great feed to egg ratio in my opinion. All of mine were kind of "flighty" though. Shober has a good opinion too. Barred Rocks are my all time favorite breed because of there plumage, temperment and they lay, lay, lay. White Rock and Buff Rocks are just as productive too. Never had Partridge Rocks, but I assume they would be as well.

Back
Top Bottom