Need help designing an irregular-shaped covered run

Pics
I’m sorry. I know it’s a hassle but it’s been my experience in Massachusetts that there is always a setback of some sort. Even when installing fences you are supposed to allow 2 feet from the property line.
Ironically, we recently got a letter from the town that the neighbor who would be closest to the coop got an exception and will be building something right along the property line in question...

Bad news.... baaaaaaad news 😭 But not where I expected it! Building inspector said run will be fine. Wohoo! But... the coop! Needs to be 8 feet from the property line, and mine is 1 foot from it! I specifically asked the animal control officer (who oversees chicken keeping and gives information and advice) about setbacks for coops, and she told me coops can go right by the property line because yards are small and people have no room for setbacks. So I thought I’d done my part and went and spent all summer building this damn coop. Inspector says she shouldn’t have said that. WTF!!!!!!!! He’s gonna think about this and see if he can come up with something, because all the paths from here are long and expensive, or impossible (moving the coop).
I want to cry 😭:hit😭
Oh no! I'm so sorry! Hope he can come up with a solution for "grandfathering" it since another department's officer said that you could. So frustrating!!

If that neighbor got permission, could it be that this sets a legal precedent for exceptions to that rule?
There can be exceptions to the rule, if you petition via all the proper channels. There are two big problems though - 1) nobody f-ing told me about that when I asked last year, and 2) just hiring a surveyor would be $750, not to mention all the other fees!

There can be exceptions to the rule, if you petition via all the proper channels. There are two big problems though - 1) nobody f-ing told me about that when I asked last year, and 2) just hiring a surveyor would be $750, not to mention all the other fees!
If at all possible, just move the coop. If you cause a “stink” with your local officials they won’t be happy and could make your life miserable.

Maybe I shouldn’t have spoken up?
I was kinda wondering about that.

Ironically, we recently got a letter from the town that the neighbor who would be closest to the coop got an exception and will be building something right along the property line in question...
Same property line as coop is on?
just hiring a surveyor would be $750, not to mention all the other fees!
Did they do a survey?

If at all possible, just move the coop. If you cause a “stink” with your local officials they won’t be happy and could make your life miserable.
It can’t be moved, sadly. It’s 5x7 and 8 feet tall, with a shingle roof. And there are fences or walls all around the property, which is on a slope, so we can’t get any kind of machinery in. Damn, I’ve really painted myself into a corner here!

Back
Top Bottom