Need help designing an irregular-shaped covered run

Pics
no vertical supports in the middle..
Right, but probably 2x rafters.
I don't think using 1x6's for 12' rafters is a good idea.
Also buying 12' boards might get expensive and be hard to find.
There's no quick simple answers to your questions, will take some research and planning.
I don't know enough about framing to plan it out for you, sorry.

Have you heard from the 'authorities' yet?

Right, but probably 2x rafters.
I don't think using 1x6's for 12' rafters is a good idea.
Also buying 12' boards might get expensive and be hard to find.
There's no quick simple answers to your questions, will take some research and planning.
I don't know enough about framing to plan it out for you, sorry.

Have you heard from the 'authorities' yet?
It's okay, I don't expect people to plan this for me. Just asking in case anybody has done this (or similar) before and it worked out for them.

Home Depot has 12' PT boards, both 2x6 and 2x4, so they won't be hard to find. Expensive, yes... everything about this whole chicken thing has been expensive 😫 That's why I'm trying to figure out what I can get away with to save money without compromising the stability too much... Would 2x4 rafters with vertical supports in the middle be enough?

Haven't heard from the authorities yet. I left the inspector a voicemail Friday afternoon. We'll see when he gets around to it.

Thanks guys. I'll do the math and see what's cheaper - 2x6's with no center supports, or 2x4's with center supports.

What do you think about using this concrete block anchor for the center posts? (the posts on the main frame will be sunk into the ground and cemented). I've seen people use them for center posts...

1582556821493.png

I'm late to the game but are you set on the style of roof? For 13'x7'ish, I was able to efficiently use 4' 2x4s instead of 8ft 2x6s by going with a gable roof instead of a lean to/shed/single sloped roof.

In order to not have rafters, I looked up cathedral style roof which helped me understand how to create a ridge beam which the rafters attach to. So I only needed one 2x6 for the ridge beam.

Just another thought! :)

I'm late to the game but are you set on the style of roof? For 13'x7'ish, I was able to efficiently use 4' 2x4s instead of 8ft 2x6s by going with a gable roof instead of a lean to/shed/single sloped roof.

In order to not have rafters, I looked up cathedral style roof which helped me understand how to create a ridge beam which the rafters attach to. So I only needed one 2x6 for the ridge beam.

Just another thought! :)
Thanks for the input! Nothing is set yet, I'm still at the planning stage. I did consider a gable roof at one point, but thought it would be more complicated/difficult to pull off, especially with the irregular shape. Do you have a build thread or pictures of your roof?

Hopefully this coming weekend I will put mine together and post pics.

At first take, Salt Box Style roof would be the option I would use given your chosen arrangement. Something like this (the black line is the ridge):
Iby1Lfk.png

Looking at your original pic, it seems like you have created 3 unique areas with your fencing arrangement which create roofing difficulty.

One option would be to simplify that by moving the fence line to eliminate one of additional walls/slopes/corners, maybe by doing something like these (the black line is the new fence):
5aqb2LW.png

08yyD3X.png

You could then potentially use a gable roof like this (black line is the ridge):
Esr3hcR.png

Some ideas :)

If you want to get complex or hire someone, you could really break the roof down into "zones" with a different slope/direction for each zone to move water where you want. This would be a lot more difficult and take a lot more planning.

Hopefully this coming weekend I will put mine together and post pics.

At first take, Salt Box Style roof would be the option I would use given your chosen arrangement. Something like this (the black line is the ridge):
Iby1Lfk.png

Looking at your original pic, it seems like you have created 3 unique areas with your fencing arrangement which create roofing difficulty.

One option would be to simplify that by moving the fence line to eliminate one of additional walls/slopes/corners, maybe by doing something like these (the black line is the new fence):
5aqb2LW.png

08yyD3X.png

You could then potentially use a gable roof like this (black line is the ridge):
Esr3hcR.png

Some ideas :)

If you want to get complex or hire someone, you could really break the roof down into "zones" with a different slope/direction for each zone to move water where you want. This would be a lot more difficult and take a lot more planning.
Good ideas, thanks! I have more thinking to do. Looking forward to seeing your pictures - do let me know (post here or tag me) when you post them!

Oh the chicken wire won’t be for the run in general for predators, just at the base of the bush to protect its roots from the chickens. The run will have a HC apron around it. Feeder will be inside the coop and coop will be closed at night to deter rodents.

I was wondering about vertical supports in the middle... Posted the question a couple pages back but got no response. With an 11-foot span, I’ll probably need that, right? How many supports? The large part of the run will be 11x11.
You will not need central supports for an 11' span if you use 2x6 lumber for rafters. You can use 1x3s for purlins for the corrugated roofing.
You could use 2x4 lumber for the roofing if they were properly designed trusses but it's just easier to use 2x6 rafters.
I spanned my 12' run with 14' 2x6s that allowed for good over hang at the rear.

Back
Top Bottom